Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Transmission Shift Solution - AW 55-50

Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift solenoids

I'm still looking into the solenoids after I spoke with a transmission/valve body re builder said all I needed is this kit... But I'm not sure if it will fix the problem..

TransGo | AW55-50SN, AW55-55SN: SK-AW55-50

Any ideas??

Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 AM

Hi, I decided to try the solenoids first, based on the fact that my transmission work fine while the fluid was cold and for a few hundred dollars its better than 6 thousand for whole new transmission. Like I said, I did a lot of reading and people have had good results by installing the new solenoids or whole valve body. I also figured if this doesn’t work and I do require a transmission recondition, then I also need to do the valve body and solenoids, then at least I already had new solenoids.
I followed your link; the kit you’re looking at has drill bits included, what has to be drilled? I’m not sure about drilling anything and shoving inside your transmission, I would worry about precision and also physical contamination. Have a look at the Rostra solenoids; they go straight into the valve body from the box, nothing to drill.
All the best mark.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Default aw55-50sn hard shifting

Sorry to hear that the transgo shift kit did not solve all of your shifting problems.

I still have not worked on the car and really wondering if all I need is just the new solenoids with out the transgo shift kit... Is there anything else that this shift kit replaces / repair other than the solenoids?

Thank you

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM

Did you guys not read my posts??
Replaced the AW 55-50 Linear Solenoids with Rostra Solenoids, replace the B4 servo, do an ATF flush.
Fix your problems.
Mine is perfect...

Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replace the transmission rather than messing with the internals. There are so many different passage ways where debris can build up and come loose at any time (especially on a high mileage un-serviced tranny)

I install only BRAND NEW transmissions, which already have what is being discussed in this thread corrected.

On a last note $6000? we only charge $3500 for the entire job where I work, though tranny must be paid up front, before ordering.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Replacing the entire transmission for a solenoid is like installing a new engine if the coil pack goes bad. Frankly, it is overkill, but both approaches will solve the problem.

I have never, ever, seen anyone who will properly rebuild a Volvo AW55-50 unit for $3500. If I buy one from the dealer that is a Volvo rebuild, it costs more and I buy below wholesale. Then, you have the installation. $6000 is about what it costs.

There is debris in all transmissions, even one driven for a few thousand miles. Changing the fluid will remove that debris unless the thing has come apart. However, it appears that no one wants to hear about the simple fix so that's that.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by tony1963
Replacing the entire transmission for a solenoid is like installing a new engine if the coil pack goes bad. Frankly, it is overkill, but both approaches will solve the problem.

I have never, ever, seen anyone who will properly rebuild a Volvo AW55-50 unit for $3500. If I buy one from the dealer that is a Volvo rebuild, it costs more and I buy below wholesale. Then, you have the installation. $6000 is about what it costs.

There is debris in all transmissions, even one driven for a few thousand miles. Changing the fluid will remove that debris unless the thing has come apart. However, it appears that no one wants to hear about the simple fix so that's that.
I for one very much appreciate your contribution and experience!
I bought this car in November 2011
My 2001 V70 2.4t 166k has this issue with the AW55-60, namely when hot, it shifts very rough in the lower3 speeds, especially after a run in the interstate. the "transmission service required" message appears if I don't stop and let it cool down.
Today I changed the ATF with Volvo fluid (4Qts). The stuff that came out was really black-like used engine oil from a diesel! It also seemed more viscous than the new ATF?
A short test-drive (about 20 miles) showed a marked improvement! Lets hope this will improve things. I intend to change the fluid again after 3k to further dilute the remaining old fluid. Would you say that this is a good approach?
Also elsewhere on this forum, I see comments stating that Mobil1 synthetic ATF 3309 is the same as Volvo ATF. Do you believe this is correct?

Last edited by mike37059; 02-02-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by tony1963

1. The solenoid solution may work, but its no sure thing. for 3.5 hours more time on the books you can replace the already damaged transmission, instead of replacing the solenoid and 500 miles later the problem arises again.

2. These are BRAND SPANKING NEW TRANSMISSIONS OFF THE SHELF, FROM VOLVO!

3. The problem is that the passageways inside the transmission are poorly designed, Volvo corrected the problem along with a few other issues this transmission had, hence the brand new redesigned/engineered transmissions.

--------------------

@mike37059

The black fluid is the clutch linings (like brake dust) baby that tranny, and you might get another 10k miles. Yes change the fluid again, and you might help it, but black fluid, its toast already. Do not know about the mobil1, compare the spec ratings from mobil 1's website.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere

2. These are BRAND SPANKING NEW TRANSMISSIONS OFF THE SHELF, FROM VOLVO!

3. The problem is that the passageways inside the transmission are poorly designed, Volvo corrected the problem along with a few other issues this transmission had, hence the brand new redesigned/engineered transmissions.
How is it that you can get "BRAND SPANKING NEW TRANSMISSIONS OFF THE SHELF, FROM VOLVO," when my local Volvo dealer can only get factory rebuilds, and he wants about as much for the tranny as you do for the entire job? How much is just the new Factory transmission?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM

By the way, there is a NEW 2001 transmission for sale on Detroit Metro Craigslist for $1500!! Listed in "auto parts" under "Volvo". I called and spoke to fellow. Seems he owns shipping company and trans was "tipped over" as he put it breaking bands on pallet. He says no damage but insurance bought new replacement and he is stuck with this one. $1500 might be a steal if no damage!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jdfoster
How is it that you can get "BRAND SPANKING NEW TRANSMISSIONS OFF THE SHELF, FROM VOLVO," when my local Volvo dealer can only get factory rebuilds, and he wants about as much for the tranny as you do for the entire job? How much is just the new Factory transmission?
I will find out exactly how much today.

Also the factory rebuilds were re-machined with the correction as well, the reason I don't put those in is because most of my customers just don't like the sound of rebuilt, and are willing to pay XXXX more for peace of mind.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Default Another happy customer

I spent last evening installing the Rostra linear solenoids and a new B4 servo cover. We flushed it this morning with Mobil 3309 once the silicone had time to cure, and cleared the OBDII codes. I put about an hour of mixed freeway & city driving on it, and the problem is undoubtedly gone.

The job is a bit of a chore, but it works.

I took a gamble buying the car, but it paid off. Clean 2001's around here (northern Californa) seem to be going for around $7,000+. Hell, they're asking over $6k for rough ones. This one is very clean, 135k miles, and I picked it up for $4700 considering the transmission issue. Less than $500 later (and an evening wrenching on it with a good buddy) it drives like new.

For what it's worth, I used a writeup from v70xc.com with instructions for R&R-ing the valve body. In it the author uses a Volvo transverse mounted engine lift. I just used an overhead hoist instead; it worked fine. You could probably get in there with a cherry picker just as well if you have access to one.

It also mentions removing a bolt which secures a wire loom from the front-right of the subframe. Don't bother. This part of the frame doesn't move that much and it is a royal PITA to get at. 2' of 3/8" ratchet extensions, a swivel and 15 minutes to get it out, and another 30 getting it back in. Otherwise, the writeup is very helpful with lots of good photos.

Now, to try and tackle that pesky sunroof rattle...

The following users liked this post:
Gillito (04-07-2021)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 AM

found out that the new transmissions we were putting in -- we put the last one in that the warehouse we use had a couple weeks ago.

Volvo realized the mistake and made a limited number of the "new" redone transmissions.

The re-manufactured ones from Volvo have the valve bodies and passages re-machined with the correction and are as good as new. We also put these transmissions in.

the the Rostra linear solenoids also correct the problem, but any damage to the transmission prior had/has already been done.

put a bottle of Lucas transmission additive in the transmission as a precaution.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 PM

harder shifting transmissions last longer period. bang shifting automatics that were once smooth are goners.

so re-machining now what did I hear, what do they do. LOTS.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I am well-aware of machining a valve body that is worn, but you referred to a new design which was "remachined". A new design will not require remaching since it is new. Remachining for wear on a USED part is another issue.

Admittedly, I wouldn't recommend solenoids on a transmission with more than say 170k miles unless it otherwise has clean fluid and regular service.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Msg from a Moderator

Dear All,

I haven't been able to visit the forum as often as I used to, due to the disaster on March 11, 2011 (I am stuck in Japan).

Our forum, with Admin. Tech being the top, is designed to be a friendly and courteous one and we do not tolerate rudeness or sarcasm against other members (especially against those who are new to cars and basic automotive technology). Before you click the "post" button, please consider how it would affect another member and imagine if you were the another member.

tony1963,

I am sorry to have deleted and edited some of your posts (they have been soft-deleted so I can resurrect them if you believe they are not rude, and I understand some members have been rude to you and I deleted those posts as well). For those who wish to receive technical advice from tony1963, please PM tony. Please do not use PM for bashing purpose.

Thanks for your cooperation.