Volvo XC40 Volvo XC40 compact crossover forum discussion, how-to guides, and technical help.

Leak issue - water from roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021 | 08:16 AM
|
Default Leak issue - water from roof?

Greetings!
I have a 2021 XC40 and love it - have had it for 4 months so far - and discovered the passenger side foot wells (both front and back) soaked after some extended periods of rain. (I’ll state the obvious - all windows and sunroof were closed)
The underside of the carpeting (dense foam backing) is soaked and there is water pooled beneath the carpeting. It’s back at the dealer now to investigate.
Any other owners experience any such issues?

The following 2 users liked this post by skr9:
Emsedee (05-07-2024), prasanth240 (09-01-2021)
Old 08-16-2021 | 11:03 AM
Default Roof leak

Originally Posted by skr9
Greetings!
I have a 2021 XC40 and love it - have had it for 4 months so far - and discovered the passenger side foot wells (both front and back) soaked after some extended periods of rain. (I’ll state the obvious - all windows and sunroof were closed)
The underside of the carpeting (dense foam backing) is soaked and there is water pooled beneath the carpeting. It’s back at the dealer now to investigate.
Sounds like your sunroof drain is clogged. It is very common on Volvos with sunroofs. In the corner front there are two drain lines (one on each side) that drain water from the sunroof down the front pillars near the front window to the ground. When the roof is open sometimes small leaves or even pine needles get in there and don’t allow the water to drain. Since it’s only 4 months old bring it to Volvo and have them cleaned out as it is still under warranty. I had the same problem with my 2014 XC60. I haven’t had that problem with my 2021 XC40 (yet) but I’m always looking. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck,
Jim

The following users liked this post:
Carmen2021 (03-13-2024)
Old 09-01-2021 | 10:33 PM

I am also having same issue with my 2021 xc40 just saw today plz say what fixes it

Old 09-06-2021 | 08:45 AM
|

Originally Posted by prasanth240
I am also having same issue with my 2021 xc40 just saw today plz say what fixes it
I took it back to the dealer; it was a drain from the sunroof not properly installed at the factory - so they had to remove seats and floor lining, dry everything out and make sure all the electronics were not damaged. No cost to me - but they had the car for a week and half due to all the labor involved. Unfortunately they were not even able to provide me a loaner as their loaner fleet has been sold off by the sales department as they have been affected by the computer chip shortage. I would get yours back to the dealer ASAP to have them investigate. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2021 | 08:48 AM
|

Originally Posted by jmcamp54
Sounds like your sunroof drain is clogged. It is very common on Volvos with sunroofs. In the corner front there are two drain lines (one on each side) that drain water from the sunroof down the front pillars near the front window to the ground. When the roof is open sometimes small leaves or even pine needles get in there and don’t allow the water to drain. Since it’s only 4 months old bring it to Volvo and have them cleaned out as it is still under warranty. I had the same problem with my 2014 XC60. I haven’t had that problem with my 2021 XC40 (yet) but I’m always looking. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck,
Jim
Turns out it wasn’t clogged - it wasn’t properly connected at the factory! No cost repair but took them a week and a half to dry out and put back together.

Old 10-17-2021 | 01:56 AM
Default Permanent cure for roof leaks

Volvo roof drain permanent fix.
Order the item below.
Remove pillar cover - remove stupid rubber drain tip (water may be trapped in drain tube - clean out tube in some way).
Install the silicone item - it's a perfect fit on drain tube and drain hole where rubber tip was. Replace pillar cover - done.
Never again - and a fraction of the cost of the original piece.

UPDATED INFO:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001990178665.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.35 6c4e9caGCpPN&algo_pvid=95418235-f833-4e5f-b717-dfcde180ba65&algo_exp_id=95418235-f833-4e5f-b717-dfcde180ba65-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000021863708952"%7D&p dp_pi=-1%3B5.42%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BUSD%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Or try a search on this text or part of it:

3pcs Oil truck essential exhaust pipe muffler silicone Exhaust Extension Tube For RC HSP model 1:10 Nitro Car 02026 102009

There are plenty of other sources - prices vary quite a bit.

Last edited by FrankGuthrie; 01-04-2022 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Updated link info
Old 10-18-2021 | 01:09 PM
Default Water in the front Footwell - but No sun roof

Greetings!

Hi

I’ve had a wet passenger mat twice this week which is the first time since earlier this year - I was hoping this issue had resolved itself .. and I have no sunroof..

From what I can see the XC40 has a small drain on the drivers side and a slightly bigger drain hole on the passenger side just under the bonnet - from my experience in sudden heavy rain when the car is parked at a slight angle.. water appears to sit on the drivers side only to come sloshing over to the passenger side as you pull away - perhaps the drivers side drain can’t cope with the sudden amount of water or the drivers side drain has already been over loaded. I’ve actually heard water slosh across the car and then seen it pour down from the side of the passenger side into the footwell..

The car is kept outside, I keep it clean and try to keep the drains clear of leaves

Has anyone else had this..?

Btnsurfer

Old 11-03-2021 | 02:18 PM
Thumbs up Volvo XC40 roofleak

Greetings!
I recently purchased a 2018 XC40 that had travelled just 10,000 miles. I loved it also, that was until this happened. On a trip to N. Wales from Somerset I started getting warning messages flagged up on the dash. These included 'SRS Airbag drive urgently to Volvo service, ESC problem' transmission problem that later became so involved that the performance had to be reduced, the amber engine light also glowed. We managed to get home and I booked the car into Volvo Motor Company in Yeovil for investigation. Initially they could not find the problem but turned all the warning notices off. As we drove away the amber engine light re-appeared and the car was booked back in. That was last Thursday 28th October. I later received a phone call from the garage to the effect they had found the problem to be that the drain holes in the sunroof were blocked and water had travelled from the sunroof channel inside the vehicle to the nearside floor pan where it had corroded the wires and terminals that are placed there by Volvo and a full re-wire at an estimated cost of £4,300 will be necessary.
Clearly in allowing water that congregates in the sunroof channel to run down inside the car causing the damage I describe is, to my mind, a design problem a matter which Volvo have yet to respond to. I am presently in correspondence with Volvo about this issue but so far they have tried to deflect the problem onto the dealer who they say should be able to answer these questions but in reality the dealer agrees with me that not only should the water not be allowed to penetrate the car whatever the reason but also given that it does there is no protection afforded to the electrics under the n/s carpets. I will try to update this post once I hear further from Volvo.

Since entering the above I am pleased to say Volvo have accepted some responsibility for this problem and agreed to foot the repair bill. Despite pointing out a number of, what I believe to be design faults, they opted for my contention that no-where in the manual or any other instructions that come with the car does it warn owners that the drain holes at the corners of the sunroof should be regularly checked for blockage. Anyway I applaud Volvo for taking the responsibility for this, in this case, off my shoulders.

Last edited by Warren9golf; 11-12-2021 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-11-2021 | 11:36 PM
Default Volvo roof drain permanent fix.

Order the item below.
Remove pillar cover - remove stupid rubber drain tip (water may be trapped in drain tube - clean out tube in some way).
Install the silicone item - it's a perfect fit on drain tube and drain hole where rubber tip was. Replace pillar cover - done.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...e52e080e3518-9

Old 01-03-2022 | 09:22 PM
Default Water under drivers seat (right hand).

Greetings!
We have just experienced the same problem on the drivers side (rh) with water sloshing around in the floor pan under the drivers seat. The car will now not unlock automatically, the climate control has stopped working and a few more error messages occurred whilst driving to the main dealer.
Their response was that we must have left the windows or sunroof open or waded through high water (neither is the case) and it is an insurance claim. They even warned that the car might be a right off. It is a 2021 model and we have owned it from new for the last 8 months.

Old 01-04-2022 | 12:39 AM
Default Roof drain leaks

Originally Posted by FrankGuthrie
Updated info:

Order the item below.

The original link I provided has changed. Try this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001990178665.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.35 6c4e9caGCpPN&algo_pvid=95418235-f833-4e5f-b717-dfcde180ba65&algo_exp_id=95418235-f833-4e5f-b717-dfcde180ba65-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000021863708952"%7D&p dp_pi=-1%3B5.42%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BUSD%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Or search for "3pcs Oil truck essential exhaust pipe muffler silicone Exhaust Extension Tube For RC HSP model 1:10 Nitro Car 02026 102009"
Or some of that text . . .

Happy New Year

Old 01-04-2022 | 02:34 AM

Hello, I was referred to my insurers by the main dealer who refused the claim. I was then referred to the warranty company who said it was wear and tear and also refused the claim. Eventually Volvo agreed to pick up the tab as no-where that I have seen does it state that the drain holes on the sunroof should be regularly checked for blockage. Yours should also be under warranty and thus paid for by Volvo. What I don't understand given this is not a new fault is why Volvo have not ensured this does not happen by firstly sealing the roof against water ingress inside the car (if that happened and water came over the top then at least the owner would have some idea that the drains were blocked) or ensured that if all that is not possible for some reason any water that gets into the footwell is able to get away rather than corrode all the wiring and connections that are situated there.

Old 04-25-2022 | 07:28 PM

So over a month, my attic has been leaking. Having had 3 roofers in the problem is still not solved. The first came charged over 500 and we never saw the guy again when it started leaking again emergency plumber. Another came diagnosed it and then did not bother to show up again. 3rd came and tried to fix but still leaks now chasing him up.

There are no missing tiles and no apparent cracks on the apex of the roof. Though saying that that is what the roofers have said and have to take their word on it.

Last edited by VinR1; 04-26-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 10:18 AM
Default Volvo 2020 xc60 LEAKING SUNROOF

Hi,

I have a 2020 xc60, panoramic sunroof. It was manufactured on 2019, driven as a dealer demo for the first 5k miles, at which point I leased it and then financed once my lease was up. Less than 40k miles. Amazing car. Until last week - when it wouldn’t stay on, nor would the gear shifter work. The emergency brake wouldn’t disengage. Called AAA, had it towed to my local Volvo authorized mechanic. I remember hearing what I thought was water sloshing on the door - then it went away. Or so i thought … until my dealer called and said there was MAJOR water damage. The way have taken the car apart and dried everything, will then review and test the electrical components. I noticed that this model is not included in the class action lawsuit but am furious that, after so much attention was brought to their design flaw, they wouldn’t correct it. I am having my mechanic document all of the findings and was going to then reach out to Volvo for …. Reimbursement? Any suggestions would be appreciated. It seems there are enough people with the same issue - perhaps another lawsuit is in order?

Greetings!