Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Gear Shift Position Fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gear Shift Position Fail

We have a new 2013 T6 XC60. We bought it 2 weeks ago and took it on a road trip last week. Over the course of 1400 miles, the same error occurred 4 times. After putting the car in park and pressing the Engine Start/Stop Button an alert popped up that I needed to put the car in park. Each time I noted that the car was already in park and pushed on the gear shift forward. The gear shift was already at the extreme forward position (in park) but each time the error alert immediately cleared. I took it in to the dealer when we returned from the trip and they were unable to duplicate the problem. They told me to come back if it happens again. So 4 times isn't enough for this to be taken seriously but 5 is? I'm very disappointed in the way this is being handled. I've googled the issue and came up empty. Anybody ever heard of a glitch like this before?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the problem is not present or saved in the memory for DTC's it will not show up. If the car doesnt think there is a problem,it wont save it for the tech to read when he brings up the car DTC's.

There are multiple times we get cars in where the car thinks everything is good but its SNAFU. If we cant duplicate the problem,and the car wont tell us why its acting stupid we cant just shotgun parts at cars.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a solution to it and it has been solved by volvo. why the dealer did not solve it is beyond me. the problem has to do with a software malfunction in the tcm. so it really isnt a safety problem for youall you have to do is push the start button twice and the car will turn off. next time you go in for service when they do the total can upgade (which is free for you) after they finish the software download they have to turn the car off, take the keys out and lock the car until everything goes to sleep. that should resolve the probelm