Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Would you buy this used Volvo XC60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you buy this used Volvo XC60?

Need some suggestions from the XC60 owners out there!
Yesterday, I test drove a XC60 and it is a pleasant vehicle to drive around. However, the brake rotors were rusted (assuming its been on the lot for a while), and the dashboard shows that the car key batteries need to be replaced soon.

This car is a 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 FWD with about 95,000 miles.

Here is the CARFAX below:
Owner One: (11K/year)
~Registered as a lease personal vehicle on 03/21/2010.
~Vehicle serviced (unspecified) at dealer at 5K
~7.5K serviced performed at dealer at 7K
~Offered for sale as a Volvo CPO at 15K

Owner Two: (22K/year)
~No service records
~Vehicle sold at an auction
~Safety and Emission Passed
~Maintenance inspection completed (Below, by dealer)
~Door lock(s) replaced/repaired
~Battery charged
~Battery/charging system checked
~Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
~Electrical system checked
~Emissions inspection performed

Owner Three: (12k/9 months) --Only owned the car for 9 months
~Computer(s) checked---Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed (84k at dealer)
~5,000 mile service performed (Below, 86k at dealer)
Computer(s) checked
Oil and filter changed
Rear brake pads replaced
~90K service (95K at dealer)

Owner Four: (My GREATEST Concern) ~Had the car for less than a month
~Title issued and loan/lien reported

The last owner purchased at Toyota-Marin, and this is the same dealer the car is at currently. The CARFAX lists the car as if it is still owned by the 4th owner.

Anything I can do to come to a better determination on whether I should purchase or walk away? Any help would be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:41 PM

That's a lot of miles for even a Volvo. You didn't mention what you were paying for it.
If the price is good I would try to find out why the forth owner only had less than a month. FYI, I can wash my 16 and the rotors will rust.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 14XC60
That's a lot of miles for even a Volvo. You didn't mention what you were paying for it.
If the price is good I would try to find out why the forth owner only had less than a month. FYI, I can wash my 16 and the rotors will rust.
I've asked about previous service records from the dealership but they weren't able to give it out due to personal privacy issues. I doubt they will explain what happened with the 4th owner. The car is currently priced at 13.5K. It is cheap, but now I'm starting to factoring the risk of any possible breakdowns it may have within the first year of the ownership. The 3rd and 4th owner traded into the same Toyota dealership, so I'm thinking maybe they felt the car isn't as reliable as they thought and went with a Toyota.

We checked out the car on a rainy day and the brake rotors were definitely rusted. It's been on the lot for about 20 days, price reduction of 2K since listed.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards walking away and waiting for a less mileage/one owner Volvo or Saab.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

95K miles on a car that's almost 6 years old is not a lot - that's less than 20K a year - my bet is it probably got a fair bit of highway driving. The car's been dealer serviced through the intervals so it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary is going on outside of the electrical system repairs noted. Rust on the rotors is not a problem - they will self clean within the first 100 miles or so. You are still buying a used car here so expect some repairs - just factor that into the cost of ownership and research the market for this model and mileage (last car I bought was a 2012 VW CC and I used Autotrader to see similar models nationwide to get a sense of private and dealer prices). BTW, dealers often buy other brands at auction to attract brand loyal customers to compare to their products so they are not always trade ins. This case sounds like an employee of the dealership was owner #4 too... And with your concerns over this Volvo's history you'd really consider a Saab with no dealer support network?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 AM

Pay a mechanic and have him check the car out will give you much more information than any VIN number check.

Personally, I'd stay away from the line 6 engine due to the weak transmission.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tryingbe
Pay a mechanic and have him check the car out will give you much more information than any VIN number check.

Personally, I'd stay away from the line 6 engine due to the weak transmission.
Weak transmission? Hardly.