Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 2022 Nothing but problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 08:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nothing but problems.

I don’t have the recharge. Mine is the 2022 xc60 b6 and I think that in the 11 months that I have had the car it has been back at the dealer at least 10 times. Not one was a regular maintenance problem

The following users liked this post:
Ros (02-28-2023)
Old 09-18-2022, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 2022 xc60 b6 for about two months now and i've put around 3k miles on it. i've had essentially no problems. google assistant stopped working at one point, but all that was required was a minor reboot, which is to be expected of any computer from time to time. the car has experienced heavy rain, and a one day drive of 520 miles. so far, so good.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:12 PM
Default Nothing but problems

That is good to hear. I think the ones with the most problems are considered the “early” 2022s.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:20 PM

yes, i think it was the early ones with the problems. i talked to a mechanic at the dealership for almost an hour before i bought the car, as i'd read about the issues. he said the later versions weren't having many issues. hopefully it'll stay that way! sorry to hear about all your issues.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
What you are experiencing here is pretty much standard on new cars with all of the safety features. If you attempt to change lanes w/o using your turn signal, the steering wheel can give you a warning through resistance or a vibration that you're leaving your lane. If you just use your turn signal, it shouldn't happen.
I almost always use my turn signal to change lanes (always when there are people around me). This happens when I'm not changing lanes and I'm in the center of my lane, my hands on the steering wheel. I have tested it changing lanes on expressways with no other cars around without using my turn signals, and the lane-change assist almost never comes on then. And it should not, because I have it turned off in the infotainment menu! So you're right: it absolutely should not happen, and yet it happens to me once or twice a week, and randomly, as I said, for 10-30 seconds usually and then it stops mis-behaving (usually the rest of the trip; i.e., my recollection is that it usually only happens once a trip, when it does happen).

Old 09-26-2022, 11:02 AM

I did a follow up in Sept. They have had 3 months to work on updates to the software to get the functions that where on the 2021 XC 60. Still no ETD for a software release that addresses the Volvo Car App for

1 - Theft Protection
2 - find car
3 - security notifications when alarm goes off or doors are left unlocked
4 - charging option was been completely removed from the app in one of the app updates

The google software is now also a year old and still no dates for functions we all paid for.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:24 AM
Default Nothing but problems

I know, it’s a disgrace and very frustrating. Not sure what to even do about it anymore

Old 10-01-2022, 11:26 AM
Default 2023 xc 60

I had a loaner just a day or so. Could wait to take it back. The wiper bang when they get to end of stroke. The gas tank icon doest show you what side the tank is on. And the radio is a bland on total worthless. That information system sucks. I was so glad to get back in my 2019T6 inscription

Old 10-01-2022, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Danncas
I had a loaner just a day or so. Could wait to take it back. The wiper bang when they get to end of stroke. The gas tank icon doest show you what side the tank is on. And the radio is a bland on total worthless. That information system sucks. I was so glad to get back in my 2019T6 inscription
Well, all Volvos have the gas-tank filler door on the right/passenger side (as with most European cars), so that shouldn't be an issue. But that's the least problem of the inadequate instrument panel (which lacks a full-time odometer, any display of tire pressure in psi, a display of a diagram showing power to each wheel, a full-time display of regeneration, phone information, 12-volt-battery display, engine/coolant temperature, etc.). Yes, Volvo software designers need to look at really good infotainment systems like Porsche's to see how it's done properly regarding displays, keeping climate controls in buttons/dials, and doing AM/FM radio correctly. But I think that Sensus is much worse than the new Google OS, and that may be saying a lot; certainly Google Maps in the new system is way better than the crappy Sensus maps. Volvo made a huge mistake in not changing the Sensus hardware unit and trying to cram Google OS into the old hardware; they had the chance to make a horizontal display, which is much better for doing an automobile infotainment screen because it gives you better real estate to produce "widgets" that you can move around and customize -- e.g., showing map and date/time and phone info and music/radio info all at the same time. You simply are too limited with an in-dash vertical display. If I'm an automaker designing a new system, I'm having my engineers look at all the other automakers' systems and discussing the best and worst of those before designing my new system...

Last edited by cometguy; 10-01-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Cometguy, re: your post #249. Just curious. I assume you are a Volvo vehicle owner. Which model and model year do you own?

Old 10-01-2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by maggs
Cometguy, re: your post #249. Just curious. I assume you are a Volvo vehicle owner. Which model and model year do you own?
I have two Volvos right now: 2001 V70 XC wagon, and a 2022 XC60 T8 Recharge Extended Range. I've owned two other Volvos previously, also. All were bought new; I've put close to 250k miles on my 2001 wagon, and over 2k miles so far on my 3-month-old 2022 XC60.

Last edited by cometguy; 10-01-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:52 PM

2022 XC 60 Recharge. Took delivery in Nov 2021. Main issue is that Volvo changed to the Google software which volvo converted to before it was ready to go to market.

Old 10-01-2022, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by cometguy
I have two Volvos right now: 2001 V70 XC wagon, and a 2022 XC60 T8 Recharge Extended Range. I've owned two other Volvos previously, also. All were bought new; I've put close to 250k miles on my 2001 wagon, and over 2k miles so far on my 3-month-old 2022 XC60.
Glad to see you are an actual Volvo owner of a newer model that's giving feedback on it. Sometimes I wonder if people trolling this and other forums are actually Volvo owners, and are just reiterating what others have said and/or restating Youtube reviews.. I own a 2020 V90. For me, Sensus is adequate and my car is reliable. Considering all that Volvo is trying to do, at once (i.e., EV, battery development and production, autonomous driving via LiDAR), IMO they are biting off more than they can chew with their limied resources with their infotainment system.

Last edited by maggs; 10-01-2022 at 04:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by maggs:
Danncas (10-01-2022), KtF3 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 03:04 PM
Default 2017 XC60 Volvo 5tDyamic

I have had a Volvo S80 previously and I loved it!! I decided to let it go and get a previously leased company car. I love the ride and the looks and interior and much the seat comfort. Little things keep breaking down and cost is exorbitant. Now the battery was just reading extremely low and low battery warning. Thus, to save a buck, in this horrible economy and being retirees, hubby bought a brand new AGM battery and followed not only the volvo manual but a video online he compared and proceeded to take out the old and insert the new. It works!! But, at times our lane departure notice goes out, our driver alert also goes out. Then while driving, they may come back and be useful. First called Volvo representative in servicing and he went over "mycar" and all that should be checked off was as it should be. He confirmed all was as should be while he guided me over the phone. Still having same issues. Thus, called volvo service who informed me that "people don't know that there is also a small battery involved that has to be hooked up again perhaps to work and they are the only ones who can do this with their monitor." It, of course, is costly. Then, our not trusting much of dealers, we both remarked then they will find more to cost us to ourselves. So, phoned volvo today and got another service rep and explained again to which, I was told they do not recommend diy! To which I retorted "then isn't the book published on "how to replace the battery" misinformation? Rep could not respond and just kept going on as a recording repeating "due to the technical of the car, we only recommend servicing via dealer". So, we are in a pit of hell and have to go to the dealer!!! Finally, when up and running properly, I will be looking to find another car to purchase that does not force one to a dealer only and impact financial stress. Had I known this in the beginning I never would've purchased the vehicle. My fault but, heed the "dealer only" option of repairs and replacements. Good luck!!

Last edited by ollieump; 10-05-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ollieump
I have had a Volvo S80 previously and I loved it!! I decided to let it go and get a previously leased company car. I love the ride and the looks and interior and much the seat comfort. Little things keep breaking down and cost is exorbitant. Now the battery was just reading extremely low and low battery warning. Thus, to save a buck, in this horrible economy and being retirees, hubby bought a brand new AGM battery and followed not only the volvo manual but a video online he compared and proceeded to take out the old and insert the new. It works!! But, at times our lane departure notice goes out, our driver alert also goes out. Then while driving, they may come back and be useful. First called Volvo representative in servicing and he went over "mycar" and all that should be checked off was as it should be. He confirmed all was as should be while he guided me over the phone. Still having same issues. Thus, called volvo service who informed me that "people don't know that there is also a small battery involved that has to be hooked up again perhaps to work and they are the only ones who can do this with their monitor." It, of course, is costly. Then, our not trusting much of dealers, we both remarked then they will find more to cost us to ourselves. So, phoned volvo today and got another service rep and explained again to which, I was told they do not recommend diy! To which I retorted "then isn't the book published on "how to replace the battery" misinformation? Rep could not respond and just kept going on as a recording repeating "due to the technical of the car, we only recommend servicing via dealer". So, we are in a pit of hell and have to go to the dealer!!! Finally, when up and running properly, I will be looking to find another car to purchase that does not force one to a dealer only and impact financial stress. Had I known this in the beginning I never would've purchased the vehicle. My fault but, heed the "dealer only" option of repairs and replacements. Good luck!!
In specific, as long as the battery was properly replaced, don't see why the other issues appeared. In general, a Volvo, or any other near-luxury or luxury car, I probably not for a retiree with limited resources. Toyotas are probably a better option. Most modern cars are, basically, computers on wheels and, more-and-more, can be difficult for do-it-yourself owners to maintain, unfortunately. Prior to buying my 2020 Volvo V90, I had seriously considered purchasing a Benz E450 Estate Wagon. While doing my research, I read on a Benz owners forum that even the change of a direction signal light bulb requires a technician to inform the car's computer of the change, otherwise the car will not recognize the new bulb. Toyotas are far less intricate, but are growing increasingly complex to address, as well.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2012 XC60 solid and reliable - but...

I am horrified by all the comments about the 2022 XC60 with google's fit out.

I have a 2012 XC60 with over 200,000 km on its dial. It's solid and reliable in every way. But I do envy the new technology, though I would find Apple's CarPlay more attractive, I have to say.

Has anyone any experience of retro-fitting CarPlay? In particular, is there a compatible aftermarket Heads Up Display that can be added to the old Volvo?

Mine's a D5 Technic model in Australia, so the steering wheel is on the right and we travel in km.

Cheers, VolvoMike46

Old 10-21-2022, 08:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default intermittent brilliance...

Late 2022 XC-60 T8, or how to love and hate the same vehicle. Great mechanically, great ride, great handling, nice looking, ridiculously comfortable. Quicker and more comfortable than my old Audi S4, I never thought I'd say that. I regularly get 40 plus miles in pure, and the lowest mpg I've seen is 37. I worry more about keeping the gas in the tank from going bad than anything else mechanical, it feels that solid. I only have one tiny nonelectrical nitpick, no cubbies or nooks to put anything upfront, tiny center console (battery).

That's a lot of positive to be wiped out by software issues, but Volvo has accomplished it. I fully expect litigation over the Rear Emergency Braking, it is brutal, it will activate for slopes, drain grates, grass, a blowing leaf*, etc. I have to turn it off EVERY time I drive (steep driveway) there should be a way to disable it completely and it definitely needs to be retuned. I have random issues with it like most of the posts here, speakers not working (no sound at all), speakers sounding like they're all blown (fuzzy), blank center screen, no nav, no drive controls, no a/c, hatch release is intermittent both hands free and with the button in the dash, etc. etc. I'm sure I haven't seen everything that can happen. Most will fix with a reboot or complete shutdown and plug-in. The collision avoidance has actually helped once, it has gone off dozens of times for little (in a curve vehicle stopped in the next lane) or no reason (alone on a two lane). I have contacted both the NHTSA and Volvo, so far all I've gotten is discounts on accessories.

I believe that the VAST majority of these issues are software related, so I keep looking forward to the next update and live in hope Volvo will actually pay attention and fix this.

saw this in another post, thought it was useful but haven't tried the middle one, sure it's pinned somewhere.

"Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system.

Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​
  • Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.

Front windshield defrost button:​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)"

*supposition

The following 3 users liked this post by lance:
Chammet (10-24-2022), Gallego (02-04-2023), KLR142 (03-06-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,
well, I'm another one XC60 (early 2023) owner, who could touch almost all problems mentioned here. I'm pretty sure Volvo can eliminate these issues by SW updates, as they kill all fun I can have with my car... The question is, when?
It seems, the last soft does not eliminate all issues.
But there is something else, I would like to ask you about - have you ever seen such strange map behavior on driver's screen? Please see attached video.
Sometimes maps are stable, sometimes it "runs" every dozen seconds... Central screen is OK, stable, never seen maps issues.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
vcompress_2.avi (7.62 MB, 20 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All of it !!!

Originally Posted by Jerry-old-one
Hi there,
well, I'm another one XC60 (early 2023) owner, who could touch almost all problems mentioned here. I'm pretty sure Volvo can eliminate these issues by SW updates, as they kill all fun I can have with my car... The question is, when?
It seems, the last soft does not eliminate all issues.
But there is something else, I would like to ask you about - have you ever seen such strange map behavior on driver's screen? Please see attached video.
Sometimes maps are stable, sometimes it "runs" every dozen seconds... Central screen is OK, stable, never seen maps issues.
MY VOLVO HAS BEEN BOUGHT BACK UNDER TEXAS LEMON LAWS!!!! Hallelujah!

My maps froze for 3 hrs driving to TN. The screen would flicker, shut off, stay black, not turn on or work. It was a roulette game! The dash map froze. The only remedy was to stop and restart vehicle, that worked 1x! Otherwise I was stuck with a frozen screen, blip screen, no screen....

Document, document, document! KNOW your Lemon Laws for your State! This is imperative.

i did everything everyone tried... TCAM malfunction, replaced. Software update, updated. CarPlay update, updated. Yet, EVERY time- E V E R Y T I M E- a new issue would occur more annoying and/or life threatening (car stopping for no obstructions, brakes not engaging) issue.

I had to press in and press hard and be a detective. I had to keep track of every detail for every contact and response or no response.

The Volvo is returned- minimal money loss! Vehicle paid off too by Volvo Corp of North America! Thank you Universe!

The following 3 users liked this post by Jaim7:
Chammet (03-03-2023), maggs (02-21-2023), Ros (02-28-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Document All of These

[QUOTE=lance;517528]Late 2022 XC-60 T8, or how to love and hate the same vehicle. Great mechanically, great ride, great handling, nice looking, ridiculously comfortable. Quicker and more comfortable than my old Audi S4, I never thought I'd say that. I regularly get 40 plus miles in pure, and the lowest mpg I've seen is 37. I worry more about keeping the gas in the tank from going bad than anything else mechanical, it feels that solid. I only have one tiny nonelectrical nitpick, no cubbies or nooks to put anything upfront, tiny center console (battery).

That's a lot of positive to be wiped out by software issues, but Volvo has accomplished it. I fully expect litigation over the Rear Emergency Braking, it is brutal, it will activate for slopes, drain grates, grass, a blowing leaf*, etc. I have to turn it off EVERY time I drive (steep driveway) there should be a way to disable it completely and it definitely needs to be retuned. I have random issues with it like most of the posts here, speakers not working (no sound at all), speakers sounding like they're all blown (fuzzy), blank center screen, no nav, no drive controls, no a/c, hatch release is intermittent both hands free and with the button in the dash, etc. etc. I'm sure I haven't seen everything that can happen. Most will fix with a reboot or complete shutdown and plug-in. The collision avoidance has actually helped once, it has gone off dozens of times for little (in a curve vehicle stopped in the next lane) or no reason (alone on a two lane). I have contacted both the NHTSA and Volvo, so far all I've gotten is discounts on accessories.

I believe that the VAST majority of these issues are software related, so I keep looking forward to the next update and live in hope Volvo will actually pay attention and fix this.

saw this in another post, thought it was useful but haven't tried the middle one, sure it's pinned somewhere.

"Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system.

Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​
  • Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.

Front windshield defrost button:​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)"
Please document, safely, and all the time. Unless you become a gnat, they will only discount services. It is not enough! What tragedy must happen before this is a lawsuit? What tragedy may have already happened?

My tailgate closed on me (5'7" 140 adult woman) if that were a child... It did not stop, slow, or go back up. This is not safe. What must happen for Volvo to be accountable? Everyone here needs to document and send emails and bring in to service! These cars are not safe. Be safe drivers!

Quick Reply: XC60 2022 Nothing but problems