Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 2022 Nothing but problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 06:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did the 2.2 software update.
No apparent issues.
I do have CarPlay - USBC (top one - there are two USBC receptacles in the center console) to lightning cable to my iPhone. Not sure it matters which USBC we plug into.
I see WAZE etc
So far so good.
BTW I routinely plug my car in and let it charge at home in my garage. This time I locked the car as the software update did it's thing, but did not plug in charging cable and update went well. I'm wondering if the charging cable plugged in during update associated with my ghosts...

Old 07-16-2022, 07:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default USB ports

Old 07-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it turned off and it still continues to jar the vehicle and send messages about driving error. Car is a huge disappointment.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:57 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rileybird
I have it turned off and it still continues to jar the vehicle and send messages about driving error. Car is a huge disappointment.
Quick questions:
What did you turn off?
When you say "jar the vehicle", could you explain further?
Regarding messages, do you recall the specific messages displayed?

Perhaps you mentioned it earlier, and I inadvertently didn't see it. What is the year/model of your car?

Old 07-19-2022, 03:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rileybird
I agree 100%!! I also hate the road assistance that jars the wheel when driving. It is annoying and wish I knew how to remove it. I hate the google options! Please VOLVO get those updates.
Hello Rileybird, i have the same problem with road assistance /lane keeping aid, ive turned it off but it randomly kicks in on my commute on the same stretch of road, the garage could not create the same so just assume i'm making it up and say, there's nothing thing wrong.
Let me know if you've found a fix.
Jane

Old 08-29-2022, 10:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arriving late to this forum - egads, 12 pages of issues with the 2022 XC60 (and related)! We bought our T8 in mid-April 2022, and while we love the car, as of today it will have been in the shop 5 times so far. Thankfully, so far we've had few if any of the issues reported for earlier releases of the vehicle, so they must be doing something right. However, we are regularly getting the following messages/issues:

* Check engine light is lit
* "Propulsion system Service required"
* Periodically (when those messages are displayed) the car fails to complete a full charge, after stopping at ~50%. The app reports that it has ~50% charge, ~18 miles, and it's connected but not charging.

Most recently, I was told the last issue related to a faulty "high-temperature volt-meter" or some such. It was replaced, and for a week everything was fine. This weekend, we had the following pop up:

* The car is only charging roughly 50%.

In addition, we now have these:

It's possible these occur only when I put the car into Hybrid mode, which I did because we had only about 18 pure electric miles and I needed to go further. So not only was the maximum speed limit restricted (45 mph), but also the AC apparently was restricted or turned off. The latter is not good in Durham, NC, in August!!

The dealer is bringing us a loaner and taking the car back into the shop. As much as we love the car, this is really frustrating.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is 9 months old and I think it’s been back to the dealer 10 times literally! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is finally fixed although when I turn the steering wheel sharply now, the radio shuts off. Problem for another time. The dealer has been good about picking it up and dropping it off lately as I am about 30-45 minutes away. The last issue was 2 weeks ago when we drove my daughter 6 hours to college and on the morning of our return the car wouldn’t start. It kept saying that the key wasn’t detected. I tried opening the fob and taking the metal key out, putting it back in and it started but had to do it every time I turned the car back on. At least I was able to get the car home. The TCAM shut down completely . Most problems have been w the google system but hopefully now everything is working. I now have asked for the warranty and maintenance for as long as I own this one. I am waiting to hear back. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
arrbeejay (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 05:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LeaS123
Mine is 9 months old and I think it’s been back to the dealer 10 times literally! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is finally fixed although when I turn the steering wheel sharply now, the radio shuts off. Problem for another time. The dealer has been good about picking it up and dropping it off lately as I am about 30-45 minutes away. The last issue was 2 weeks ago when we drove my daughter 6 hours to college and on the morning of our return the car wouldn’t start. It kept saying that the key wasn’t detected. I tried opening the fob and taking the metal key out, putting it back in and it started but had to do it every time I turned the car back on. At least I was able to get the car home. The TCAM shut down completely . Most problems have been w the google system but hopefully now everything is working. I now have asked for the warranty and maintenance for as long as I own this one. I am waiting to hear back. Good luck!
where are you located?

Old 08-30-2022, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by arrbeejay
Arriving late to this forum - egads, 12 pages of issues with the 2022 XC60 (and related)! We bought our T8 in mid-April 2022, and while we love the car, as of today it will have been in the shop 5 times so far. Thankfully, so far we've had few if any of the issues reported for earlier releases of the vehicle, so they must be doing something right. However, we are regularly getting the following messages/issues:

* Periodically (when those messages are displayed) the car fails to complete a full charge, after stopping at ~50%. The app reports that it has ~50% charge, ~18 miles, and it's connected but not charging.

Most recently, I was told the last issue related to a faulty "high-temperature volt-meter" or some such. It was replaced, and for a week everything was fine. This weekend, we had the following pop up:

* The car is only charging roughly 50%.

In addition, we now have these:

It's possible these occur only when I put the car into Hybrid mode, which I did because we had only about 18 pure electric miles and I needed to go further. So not only was the maximum speed limit restricted (45 mph), but also the AC apparently was restricted or turned off. The latter is not good in Durham, NC, in August!!

The dealer is bringing us a loaner and taking the car back into the shop. As much as we love the car, this is really frustrating.
Did you buy the early-2022 version with the smaller battery pack? And what version of the OS do you have? 2.1? 2.2?
I have the 2022 ER version, and my A/C went out a month after buying the car in June, in very hot weather, but I rebooted the infotainment system via the button at the bottom of the screen, and the A/C immediately came back...

Old 08-31-2022, 02:27 PM

It's the Recharge PHEV. I'm not sure about the battery size but I'm pretty sure it's an extended range - it's *supposed* to get up to 40 miles on a full charge. I believe we have Version 2.2 of the OS.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

At least you do not have the 'battery low' problem like many others and it killed the car. It really isn't low, it just thinks it is.
1. Check tire pressure and fill accordingly to spec. On panel, save the tire pressure and drive car until it confirms on the screen.
2. Rear sensor requires you to dwell awhile with your foot under the car in a specific spot.
4. Usually required a full reset, do that first.
If using the wireless phone charger, you will notice it is phone cooker, not a charger. Even when phone is fully charged, it keeps cooking. Must do wonders for the battery life.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any class action suits open? Just purchased a ‘22 and am already experiencing issues

Last edited by ih8myvolvo; 09-17-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:12 PM

What model/trim? Ours is a T8 Recharge and it's back at the dealers AGAIN. Sixth time in the 5 months we've owned it. The result from the prior experience posted above was that the 12-volt battery was dead and had to be replaced. A week after we got it back we had two issues: it again failed to charge completely overnight (only got to about 48% in 13 hours) and it again threw a "propulsion system needs to be serviced" error message.

This is getting way boring.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Very frustrated

Not that I know of but am very interested. I think that Volvo needs to extend all maintenance and service for the time that we own these xc60 2022s

Old 09-17-2022, 04:26 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

What model/trim? Ours is a T8 Recharge and it's back at the dealers AGAIN. Sixth time in the 5 months we've owned it. The result from the prior experience posted above was that the 12-volt battery was dead and had to be replaced. A week after we got it back we had two issues: it again failed to charge completely overnight (only got to about 48% in 13 hours) and it again threw a "propulsion system needs to be serviced" error message.

Do you live in a state with a "lemon law"? If yes, perhaps this could be pursued.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve got a fully loaded Xc60 B6 which was a 74k car new.

Luckily Texas has a lemon law so I’m going to wait until I’ve met the requirements and claim. I’m looking into the option of a class action as well as it seems this is a common issue amongst these vehicles yet Volvo is still selling them. I am fortunate that so far it’s only been the AC that doesn’t function (although it’s 100 degrees in Texas and I do feel like I’m going to die in my car from heat exhaustion). It seems like many of you have cars that won’t reliably start. I even read a post from a lady whose 2022 unexpectedly accelerated causing a major accident.

The dealership told me today that it used to be 10-20 2022 vehicles being brought in weekly but now it’s 1-2 for electrical issues. He said Volvo is working on the issues. I’m not sure how that was supposed to make me feel any better. 🙄

Old 09-17-2022, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ih8myvolvo
Any class action suits open? Just purchase a ‘22 and am already experiencing issues
What issues are you experiencing? And what version of the 2022 do you have?

I have had my 2022 XC60 T8 ER for three months now, and it's been pretty solid -- no 12-volt problems. I understand that when you charge the traction battery, it automatically charges the 12-volt battery. I charge one out of every two, or two out of every three, nights on average. I also use the gas engine once or twice a month on out-of-town trips (otherwise I'm driving locally in all-electric mode, most days, without the ICE ever coming on). I also have a 12-volt-battery digital gauge that I just plug into my 12-volt outlet (front or rear cabin) occasionally, and it's almost always around 13.8-14.0 volts. The main problems (but not all of them) pertaining to the draining of the 12-volt battery seem to be either that the car sits for long-ish periods of time (i.e., 1-2 weeks?) without being driven (or hooked up to the EVSE) or else a key fob is kept too close to the car (inside wall of garage where the car is parked, for example) or use of the phone app is draining the battery. I don't use the phone app (haven't even downloaded it, nor do I plan to) and keep the key fob at the opposite side of the house from our garage.

I continue to have random occurrences of the car acting, while at highway speeds on expressways (usually), as if the lane-change assist is activated (i.e., "on"), when in fact I permanently keep lane-change assist off (I hate the concept). So in those random occurrences, which can be once a week, but with no clear pattern, the steering wheel will start to jerk left and right -- as if to keep me in the computer's idea of properly inside the lanes (where, in fact, I'm firmly steering the car adeptly and not veering out of my lane). It usually lasts only 10-30 seconds and then stops, but it's disconcerting. Obviously a software glitch (and it continued after I updated from ver. 2.1 to 2.2 of the Google OS).

The other major problem was, about a month into ownership, the A/C and fan refused to start up on one of the hottest days of the year, after I got out of a supermarket for the 2-mile drive home. When I got home, remembering that others had had this happen to them as reported on the online Volvo ownership forums, I rebooted the infotainment system, and when it came back up, the A/C and fan were working properly again. It only happened the one time, but it shows very bad design in which the A/C operation is dependent upon the infotainment computer to function; the A/C should be entirely separate and should only be operable via physical buttons/dials. Also, as I recall, when I rebooted, I had to re-set other "permanent" controls (such as starting always in "Pure" mode) again... sigh...

And I've had several occasions where Google Maps just froze up on me (navigation was not in use), lasting from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes. But they came back on their own, without a reboot.

If I ignore the software, I can say that my 2022 XC60 T8 ER is the best Volvo being sold right now, hands down. Great drive train, great acceleration, great all-electric range, great gas/hybrid range, great visibility, great ground clearance, great seats, decent ACC, good exterior appearance. The one-pedal driving is a masterpiece of design, and I use it all the time (even at highway speeds now). But the software sucks (and Apple CarPlay is only so-so, and doesn't really improve much of anything), and the instrument panel sucks (because it lacks so much, such as displaying full-time odometer, tire-pressure in psi, 12-volt-battery charge, engine/coolant temperature, date/time, etc.). And I don't like that it doesn't have a spare wheel/tire, or a drive-mode button/dial (or phone controls) on the steering wheel, or buttons/dials for climate and audio, and that you can't get an all-metal roof. Would I buy it again? Yes, because the negatives so far have been far exceeded by the pluses. But if mine was in the shop as much as some of your cars have been, and if my 12-volt battery had given out even once so far, I'd say "no" for sure. Not knowing how those with 12-volt-battery problems drive or charge their cars, it's a mystery as to why my car should behave so well while other 2022 Volvos die frequently; but I suspect that *in some cases* it may not be random and that there may be issues that can be identified if enough information is made available (like those I noted above dealing with key fobs or phone apps draining the battery remotely, or the car not being driven or charged for long periods of time). But obviously some people's cars are dying on them when they have been driven.

Last edited by cometguy; 09-18-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:37 AM
Default Any trouble-free XC60s??

At this point, with our recharge in the shop for the 6th time in the 5 months we've owned it, I'm wondering if ANYONE has experienced zero prone with their XC60? I realize this may be the wrong place to pose this question, but we are contemplating asking to swap ours for another. If a trouble-free XC60 actually exists?? Thoughts?

Old 09-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Up until this last week and a failed 2.3 software update, mine has been trouble free. It's due for its first annual in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping for resolution via the dealership.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:23 AM
Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
What issues are you experiencing? And what version of the 2022 do you have?

I continue to have random occurrences of the car acting, while at highway speeds on expressways (usually), as if the lane-change assist is activated (i.e., "on"), when in fact I permanently keep lane-change assist off (I hate the concept). So in those random occurrences, which can be once a week, but with no clear pattern, the steering wheel will start to jerk left and right -- as if to keep me in the computer's idea of properly inside the lanes (where, in fact, I'm firmly steering the car adeptly and not veering out of my lane). It usually lasts only 10-30 seconds and then stops, but it's disconcerting. Obviously a software glitch (and it continued after I updated from ver. 2.1 to 2.2 of the Google OS).
What you are experiencing here is pretty much standard on new cars with all of the safety features. If you attempt to change lanes w/o using your turn signal, the steering wheel can give you a warning through resistance or a vibration that you're leaving your lane. If you just use your turn signal, it shouldn't happen.

Quick Reply: XC60 2022 Nothing but problems