Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 2022 Nothing but problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Why did I spend $62k for a car that wasn't ready to go to market. I want a refund.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceS
Why did I spend $62k for a car that wasn't ready to go to market. I want a refund.
Get a refund.

I just sold mine back to Volvo. Turned it in Thursday morning. I'm a very happy owner of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that works as advertised.

The uconnect system is light years better than Volvo's Android Automotive implementation. Couldn't be happier. The only thing I can't do is play as high resolution audio files. 24-96 vs 24-192. If that even matters.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me how did you get a REFUND. My dealer won't even talk to me. Please help. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Chammet (04-12-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 03:35 PM

CoKroVolvo got the refund not me....I have the same problem Volvo USA won't talk to me and the dealer won't.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by aguruge
Bruce, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me how did you get a REFUND. My dealer won't even talk to me. Please help. Thanks.
Originally Posted by BruceS
CoKroVolvo got the refund not me....I have the same problem Volvo USA won't talk to me and the dealer won't.
Follow the Lemon Laws for your state. In my case, you have to contact Volvo Customer Care USA and let them know that you believe you have a lemon. You have to give them a chance to fix your car one last time.

There are requirements that vary state by state. In my case, the car needs to be in service for 20 days in the first year (might have been two years) for the same issue.

There is a Lemon Law court and the lemon needs to be approved. If they can not fix your car, they have to buy it back.

Volvo USA has to legally talk to you if you initiate a claim. If you are just firing off emails complaining and threatening, they do not.

Look up the Lemon Law process for your state and follow it to the letter. You can initiate contact through the website. They will reply to you from an email like Volvo Customer Care volvo1@mailac.custhelp.com. CC any email you can grab off of the website, like info@ or support@ or whatever.

My car was in for service for 20 days in the first 3 months and 1250 miles. They replaced the CTAM and it did not solve the problem.

They tend to do buybacks before they become official lemons. If you have to go to lemon law court, Volvo has to pay your legal fees up to $5000. And if the car is deemed a lemon, it has to be resold as a lemon, and Volvo doesn't want that. Buying back a car can save them $10k+.

Go to the website. Ask for an email address for Customer Care and who handles Lemon Law claims. CC yourself on everything.

The following 2 users liked this post by CoKroVolvo:
Chammet (04-12-2022), KPowstar (05-03-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy smokes…I know the old news saying:”If it bleeds it leads” but based on these experiences should I simply not move fwd. with my purchase of an Extended Range XC60?I have honestly never encountered this kind of ownership frustration on any forum,ever.let alone for a new 60K plus car.Are there any happy owners out there?

Old 04-09-2022, 07:45 AM

Don't buy it......if you do it will be a regret.

mr.drama (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 09:29 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.drama
Holy smokes…I know the old news saying:”If it bleeds it leads” but based on these experiences should I simply not move fwd. with my purchase of an Extended Range XC60?I have honestly never encountered this kind of ownership frustration on any forum,ever.let alone for a new 60K plus car.Are there any happy owners out there?
Historically, regardless of brand, I think it's always been a good idea to wait a year or two (or three) before buying a new model vehicle. This way the OEM has the opportunity to debug here-to-fore unknowns and install fixes and improvements. If you can wait, I would encourage you to do so or consider a 2019 or 2020 Volvo CPO. For my safety and comfort needs, Volvo was and remains at the top of my list. For those who own a Volvo, particularly for those who (like me) use it for long drives, seat comfort and support is one of the best around.

When I factory ordered my 2020 V90 Inscription T6 AWD, I knew that it's Sensus tech was long-in-the-tooth, and that Volvo would soon be switching to a Google-based solution. I also recognized the continued move to hybrid and EV technology. However, I also knew that, being a 2020 model, Volvo had had around 4 or more model years to improve things on the car I intended to purchase. After acquiring my 2020 V90 (I bought, did not lease), my experience has been that its been very reliable, with one exception; the BLIS malfunctioned a few times and required a software fix. Goes to show that nothing is perfect, but (hopefully) in my V's case, the problems will be minimal. One never knows, with our "modern" cars, what problems may arise, particularly when it comes to software gremlins. One thing is certain. Unknown problems will arise.

PS: IMO, Volvo made a strategic mistake in its Google-based rollout. Instead of just initially introducing it in one or just a few models, Volvo went all-in and introduced it in every model at the same time. In Mercedes Benz's case, as an example, they introduced their outstanding MBUX tech in just a few models, initially, and have since expanded its implementation. This controlled rollout, IMO, gave MB the opportunity to finetune MBUX and fix unknown issues prior to a full rolllout. It also gave the MB dealers, service areas and tech some breathing room to digest the new MBUX tech and more easily learn from/address issues that might arise. For the Volvo dealers, and their service departments and techs, they are on a steep learning curve and may feel inundated by a deluge of problematic cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by maggs:
Cruiter (04-09-2022), mr.drama (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mr.drama
In fairness, yes, there are plenty of happy owners out there.

Happy owners don't go on to forums to find solutions to problems that they aren't having. Happy owners don't go looking for forums to talk about how happy they are. Forums of all kinds disproportionately represent unhappy, dissatisfied owners of all product categories.

That said, I wouldn't be buying any car with Google's Android Automotive OS in it right now. I'm glad Google is issuing bug fixes and feature updates seemingly every two weeks. But that also just speaks to the level of issues that still need to be fixed. And many of them will not be fixed. Many of them, as they say in the software business, are "features, not bugs."

I spent dozens of hours with my dealer and in emails with Volvo Customer Care simply trying to figure out of something was "broken" or if it was working as it was designed and intended and I simply didn't like it. Most of the Google stuff was terrible UI design and functionality. But the TCAM not working, leaving you with no communication, is definitely a hardware problem.

And just FYI, I'm a week into my Grand Cherokee with their UConnect 5 system and it is so damn intuitive and functional. I can't believe how bad Volvo's AAOS implementation is when you compare it directly with another system. I'm giddy in my new car. The only thing I've given up is the ability to play the highest resolution audio files from a USB stick (DSD don't play, 24-192 FLAC wont play, 24-96 FLAC do, if that means anything to you). How many complaints have I made to Grand Cherokee forums? Zero.

The following 3 users liked this post by CoKroVolvo:
Cruiter (04-09-2022), maggs (04-09-2022), mr.drama (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 11:51 AM
Default The really bad part is that Volvo is not acknowledging the problem.

DO NOT BUY A NEW VOLVO. Buy some other brand...BWW MB or AUDI QUOTE=maggs;510321]Historically, regardless of brand, I think it's always been a good idea to wait a year or two (or three) before buying a new model vehicle. This way the OEM has the opportunity to debug here-to-fore unknowns and install fixes and improvements. If you can wait, I would encourage you to do so or consider a 2019 or 2020 Volvo CPO. For my safety and comfort needs, Volvo was and remains at the top of my list. For those who own a Volvo, particularly for those who (like me) use it for long drives, seat comfort and support is one of the best around.

When I factory ordered my 2020 V90 Inscription T6 AWD, I knew that it's Sensus tech was long-in-the-tooth, and that Volvo would soon be switching to a Google-based solution. I also recognized the continued move to hybrid and EV technology. However, I also knew that, being a 2020 model, Volvo had had around 4 or more model years to improve things on the car I intended to purchase. After acquiring my 2020 V90 (I bought, did not lease), my experience has been that its been very reliable, with one exception; the BLIS malfunctioned a few times and required a software fix. Goes to show that nothing is perfect, but (hopefully) in my V's case, the problems will be minimal. One never knows, with our "modern" cars, what problems may arise, particularly when it comes to software gremlins. One thing is certain. Unknown problems will arise.

PS: IMO, Volvo made a strategic mistake in its Google-based rollout. Instead of just initially introducing it in one or just a few models, Volvo went all-in and introduced it in every model at the same time. In Mercedes Benz's case, as an example, they introduced their outstanding MBUX tech in just a few models, initially, and have since expanded its implementation. This controlled rollout, IMO, gave MB the opportunity to finetune MBUX and fix unknown issues prior to a full rolllout. It also gave the MB dealers, service areas and tech some breathing room to digest the new MBUX tech and more easily learn from/address issues that might arise. For the Volvo dealers, and their service departments and techs, they are on a steep learning curve and may feel inundated by a deluge of problematic cars.[/QUOTE]

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceS:
Gitte (04-20-2022), mr.drama (04-09-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Volvo 2022 XC60 issues continued

I am just finding this thread and am actually relieved to find out that it isn’t just MY car that is having these issues! I bought mine 4 months ago and have so far been without Google services, including navigation but many other features also, for a total of over 1 of those months & counting. That total is from 3 outage episodes: 1st one was over 3 weeks when I had only had it a few weeks; Next was over a week approx a month ago; and now #3 started while driving on trip & needing navigation (!!!) 2 days ago. Their suggestion is always the ‘rear defrost button reset’ (hold down 15 seconds, turn car off w/fob, move away & don't return to car for over an hour. That has not worked even once yet! Also had random episode of ‘vehicle collision avoidance’ braking when driving straight on highway with no other car of item in sight. I researched vehicles earnestly before selecting this one, as a first-time Volvo customer too, so I am not a happy camper (owner) right now. I sincerely hope they develop a ‘FIX’ soon or I will no longer believe in Volvo’s good reputation &, like many of you, will be ready for a replacement!

The following 2 users liked this post by Chammet:
Gitte (04-20-2022), mr.drama (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 02:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CoKroVolvo
In fairness, yes, there are plenty of happy owners out there.

Happy owners don't go on to forums to find solutions to problems that they aren't having. Happy owners don't go looking for forums to talk about how happy they are. Forums of all kinds disproportionately represent unhappy, dissatisfied owners of all product categories.

That said, I wouldn't be buying any car with Google's Android Automotive OS in it right now. I'm glad Google is issuing bug fixes and feature updates seemingly every two weeks. But that also just speaks to the level of issues that still need to be fixed. And many of them will not be fixed. Many of them, as they say in the software business, are "features, not bugs."

I spent dozens of hours with my dealer and in emails with Volvo Customer Care simply trying to figure out of something was "broken" or if it was working as it was designed and intended and I simply didn't like it. Most of the Google stuff was terrible UI design and functionality. But the TCAM not working, leaving you with no communication, is definitely a hardware problem.

And just FYI, I'm a week into my Grand Cherokee with their UConnect 5 system and it is so damn intuitive and functional. I can't believe how bad Volvo's AAOS implementation is when you compare it directly with another system. I'm giddy in my new car. The only thing I've given up is the ability to play the highest resolution audio files from a USB stick (DSD don't play, 24-192 FLAC wont play, 24-96 FLAC do, if that means anything to you). How many complaints have I made to Grand Cherokee forums? Zero.
Well, the ER XC60 is a new vehicle, in many ways. Most people making the effort to buy one have done at least some research, I would think. I'm a member of 1-2 dozen automotive online forums like this one, and I don't find that people just go to forums like this to "complain". Many, if not most, like myself, come here to learn and discuss -- especially if we are contemplating buying a specific vehicle. Many also help out new owners of specific models with their questions. There are lots of happy people who just like cars that populate these online forums and share all sorts of useful information besides the worst "recall-level" problems. I'm this type of person; I rarely complain about any problems but come here to do research and learn and discuss. I'm a car guy who loves to drive, and I like all my cars. But I want to keep from buying "lemons" as much as possible, and I'm in the market for both a new PHEV and a new BEV, with the ER XC60 T8 on special order (due in June, but I'm not sure yet if I'll actually buy it).

For some years now, our household has been a 3-vehicle one, with Volvo, Toyota, and Porsche all at once. I bought two of the new-gen (2018+) Porsches with the completely revamped/updated infotainment system, and it has been almost flawless on all counts; Porsche went from one of the most mundane infotainment systems in the business to one of the very best, and had it working from Day 1. Volvo has consistently been amongst the worst, with Sensus and now with what Volvo calls "Google Automotive" OS. It seems like Volvo's engineers/designers don't bother to look at all the other manufacturers' systems and build on that to make an even better system; if I were running a car-making company, that's sure what I'd be doing! Volvo seems to have among the most rudimentary infotainment and instrument-cluster systems in the entire auto industry, which is mind-boggling for an expensive luxury car; even Toyotas costing half as much have much better infotainment and instrument-cluster systems in terms of content (if not appearance). Indeed, my 2001 V70XC has a better instrument panel than do 2022 Volvos: my 2001 Volvo has clear analog speedometer (in both miles and km) and tachometer front-and-center, odometer and trip counter always visible, and engine temperature always visible (in addition to ambient air temp and time always visible); the 2022 Volvos lack a true tachometer, do not display odometer and trip counter "permanently", never show engine temperature, and have an overly complicated "semi-tach" on the right side that's confusing with the Volvo PHEVs. The speed should always be displayed in the center of the instrument panel, the engine rpms and temperature should always be displayed if the driver so desires, and there should be a way to show the time always in the instrumental panel (none of which is possible in the 2022 ER XC60). Both our RAV4 Prime (a PHEV) and my two Porsches (a PHEV and an ICEV) have diagrams that one can display both on the infotainment screen *and* in the instrument panel that show how much power is going to each axle (they are all AWD) and what *kind* of power is being used or regenerated to each axle in the case of the PHEVs; the 2022 Volvo PHEVs have *none* of this -- no diagrams, nothing. I know that Sensus PHEVs had a "power-allocation" schematic diagram that could be displayed in the infotainment screen, but no longer in the "Google" screens.

The "Google" XC60s allow you to view a somewhat-confusing "3D-ish-like" map in the center of the instrument panel (I'd like to see an option for a 2D map display there with north up), but very bizarrely puts a big blank space there if you turn the map feature off, when they should be moving the speedometer and other information to that location (or at least offer that option). And for such a safety-oriented automaker, Volvo really is behind the game in bringing infrared "night vision" cameras to their vehicles -- another great safety feature that could be put in the huge gaping hole when there's no map displayed.

Last edited by cometguy; 04-13-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Rileybird (04-14-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have new xc60 Feb 2022

Originally Posted by Domenico
Well this post is rather unsettling. I am planning on visiting a dealer this weekend to look at a 2022, but after reading this I am having doubts. I researched the 2022 XC60 and it seems to get solid reviews. I will have to research more specifically on issues with the 2022.

My salesmen had to do about 20 minutes of setup w getting my Google account synced w my car and their Volvo smartphone app. There is a lot to learn but mostly intuitive. The salesman told me we get monthly software updates. Yes the xc60 2022 model is totally different than previous models but the upgrades they did I think makes this vehicle best on the market. Fyi....Tesla sends out updates all the time...hope this help.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sorry to hear about this. You need to do 2 things -- QUICK. There is a RECALL on the external antenna. Take it to A DEALER. Get them to FIX that. That makes a BIG difference. You also need to download Version 2.0 of the software. Over-the-Air (OTA) available as of 10 days ago. See if you have it. Dealer can install. So take it in ... to a DEALER. OK? All the best. Fingers crossed for you.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also a first timer to this forum. I have owned Volvos for 20 yrs. My husband surprised me and got me a new 2022 Volvo XC60 Inscription Model. I previously owned a 2019 Inscription. I am so disappointed with this vehicle and wish I could return it and get my old car back. Things I miss and don't have in the 2022 model
1. Apple CarPlay- would have never purchased this had we known it was available
2. This car doesn't have a compass in the rearview mirror
3. Back doesn't have the cargo netting on the side like my 2019 Inscription
4. I HATE that when I stop at a red light the car completely shuts off and that includes the air conditioner or heat blowing- Anyone know how to fix this???
5. I could adjust the speakers according to the music- clear, dynamic etc
6. The display you aren't able to customize with Chrome or red around speed- looks so basic!!
7. My favorites aren't listed in order for phone calls and they are all over the screen.
All around I am just disappointed!! I cannot wait to get rid of this vehicle in a few years!!

Gitte (04-20-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100%!! I also hate the road assistance that jars the wheel when driving. It is annoying and wish I knew how to remove it. I hate the google options! Please VOLVO get those updates.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rileybird
I am also a first timer to this forum. I have owned Volvos for 20 yrs. My husband surprised me and got me a new 2022 Volvo XC60 Inscription Model. I previously owned a 2019 Inscription. I am so disappointed with this vehicle and wish I could return it and get my old car back. Things I miss and don't have in the 2022 model
1. Apple CarPlay- would have never purchased this had we known it was available
2. This car doesn't have a compass in the rearview mirror
3. Back doesn't have the cargo netting on the side like my 2019 Inscription
4. I HATE that when I stop at a red light the car completely shuts off and that includes the air conditioner or heat blowing- Anyone know how to fix this???
5. I could adjust the speakers according to the music- clear, dynamic etc
6. The display you aren't able to customize with Chrome or red around speed- looks so basic!!
7. My favorites aren't listed in order for phone calls and they are all over the screen.
All around I am just disappointed!! I cannot wait to get rid of this vehicle in a few years!!
Volvo has screwed all their customers and they have nothing to say about it. I would love to have my 2018 XC60 back.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceS:
Gitte (04-20-2022), Rileybird (07-18-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rileybird
I agree 100%!! I also hate the road assistance that jars the wheel when driving. It is annoying and wish I knew how to remove it. I hate the google options! Please VOLVO get those updates.
You can turn it off in the settings, I have but it still randomly works, very annoying, our volvo is booked in at the dealer for a look.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Whooosh... After reading through this thread I'm convinced that I should NOT give up my 2017 XC90 or my older XC60s. Those things are solid. Haven't had any problems with the newer generation XC90 either. (knock on wood)

The following 3 users liked this post by b3freak:
Alexandros (05-27-2022), Gitte (04-20-2022), mr.drama (04-17-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 09:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I also hate that the air conditioner stops blowing at every red light. I live in a very hot and humid city and don't want the cold air to stop. Is there anyway to prevent this? I dislike the random order of my phone favorites too. Rileybird, my 2022 Inscription has a small cargo net on the back left of the cargo area.

Chammet (04-18-2022)

Quick Reply: XC60 2022 Nothing but problems