Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 2022 Nothing but problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI My 2022 V60 Polestar has been acting fine since it got the latest software (last week) at the dealer.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:39 PM

This is really rough to read all these issues with the 2022's. I had a lemon with a MB GLK 250 BlueTec that MB refused to buy back. The Bosch High Pressure Fuel Pump blew, (much more common in VW/Audi TDI's) and MBUSA stonewalled me for months. I finally gave up and traded it in for an Audi Q3.

I am now on the verge of selling our '13 XC60 in order to buy a '21 XC60 Hybrid. Seems like these issues are all in the 22's, though curious if anyone with a '21 has had any other non-Google/Android infotainment issues.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Look up your VIN #

Originally Posted by Bradpinn
I am ready to jump on the bandwagon, On Sunday I pulled into a dollar general to get a water from our drive home. Put the car in Park but left it "on" and my wife stayed in the car while I went in. When I returned it wasn't running as I assume it went into auto off but the car would not turn on.

Long story short after calling roadside asst and it being a Sunday in Western NC, they couldn't get us a ride home or a tow that day. We basically had to hitch hike home from asking someone in the store if they were heading our way and then finally the next day the tow company came and we had to drive back and meet them and they towed to closest dealership in Asheville, Only to have them tell me they are pretty booked up and would do their best to get to it but in her exact words said "It seems like the Volvo's are falling out the sky the last couple of weeks"

Now tell me anyone would trust this car again if the same thing happened. Thank god we were only about 15 minutes from our home and we had cell service and it happened in the store parking lot.

Put me down for any class action, these cars are not ready for the market, what happened to testing a product before mass release?
Check ALL recalls and Service Bulletins. THEN make them fix it and itemize each one.

IF another problem occurs, contact Volvo Customer Care. Explain in detail what you will do, diplomatically, due to said errors since specific date.

My car has been completely overhauled.
She is in my driveway again. I'll report back when I no longer fear her breaking down again....

Old 05-27-2022, 01:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DWH
I have also had a number of ****ly software issues with my new XC60 2022 R-Design.

Changed my phone and couldn't delete the old one from Volvo on call devices. I had to delete the profile and start again and that sorted it.
also you can do a soft re-boot of the OS by holding the central display button for 10-12 seconds that might solve some of the issues.
What is the procedure to delete your profile?
I am trying to find a way to delete the existing profile, so that I can redo everything from the start.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by KegsMcSorley
Hi there,

First time poster so forgive me if in wrong area.

I bought the new XC60 2022 last month and so far its been nothing but a headache. Volvo cannot take the car to investigate for a few weeks so I am hoping to get some advice here.

1. TPMS system warning. Comes on intermittendly. All tyre pressures are green in Car status. Seems to be the monitoring system at fault.
2. Rear sensor for opening the rear door. Worked once when the sales agent gave me a demo when collecting the car. Never again.
3. Volvo on call. Stopped working last week. Says I need to pair a phone which is already paired. No option to remove it.
4. Google services not working. No radio, no DAB etc. Just stuck on loading data....

Is there anyway to do a reset of sorts to at least get some functionality to restart and have a radio again?

Regards,
Have you succeeded to solve the pairing issue with Volvo On Call?
If so, how you did it?

Old 05-27-2022, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wish I never got it

Bought mine in Jan 2022, problems so far:

- tilted side mirrors (after reversing) sometimes never come back to their original positions
- google maps loses signal sometimes completely random time/location
- google maps does not work with voice commands, like never
- active cruise control gets deactivated for no apparent reason at random times with no warning
- auto high beam is dumb, flickers randomly when there’s road signs in front
- auto emergency break gets triggered randomly when there’s nothing in front of the car
- still no apple CarPlay (was told me the car does have it)
- was told tailgate sensor exists but it doesn’t (had to record myself trying to use it and send it to Volvo to prove it doesn’t exist)
- rear camera view randomly turns off when reversing (or flickers)

Software is definitely not ready for production. Very disappointed, we’re considering just trading it in for something else. So sick of getting frustrated every time I drive. Do NOT buy 2022 xc60 if you’re reading this thinking about buying one.

The following 2 users liked this post by coffers.grazers:
Alexandros (05-30-2022), laurgl79 (11-01-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by coffers.grazers
- auto high beam is dumb, flickers randomly when there’s road signs in front

Hahha! Mine is doing that also. I find it quite funny, because it is doing like crazy for no reason.

But yes, it is a dumb functionality that could be also dangerous, because at the end all those moderns technologies are designed so that the driver is not distracted and stay focused on the road. And yes, at the end this party lighting is not helping me to stay focused!!

Old 05-31-2022, 11:11 AM
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by msantram
This is really rough to read all these issues with the 2022's. I had a lemon with a MB GLK 250 BlueTec that MB refused to buy back. The Bosch High Pressure Fuel Pump blew, (much more common in VW/Audi TDI's) and MBUSA stonewalled me for months. I finally gave up and traded it in for an Audi Q3.

I am now on the verge of selling our '13 XC60 in order to buy a '21 XC60 Hybrid. Seems like these issues are all in the 22's, though curious if anyone with a '21 has had any other non-Google/Android infotainment issues.
One year into my '21 T8 with SENSUS NAV & Infotainment. With the exception of the HVAC (only used with Pure mode as it's only for electric heat), it's been absolutely perfect. They diagnosed and ordered that piece last week when I had my year one service. FWIW, I've tried the Google system with the phone and it's just WAZE. While Waze has a couple of nice features, the larger screen SENSUS Nav and 'additional' features it has are much better in 'my' opinion. Plus with Waze, you have to plug it in and turn it on. With Sensus, you just turn on the car and go. I love the way it manages the gas vs battery use if you enter a destination as a waypoint and home as destination. No way to precisely say it performs 'X' mpg better, but it's definitely better. Plus there seems to be several 'small' features that are no longer available on the '22 models. Things such as the net holder on left side of luggage compartment or some of the additional features included in SENSUS. Each one is a small thing but altogether they would be missed by drivers that had them previously.

Just my six bits !!! Still happy it was my car of choice a year ago, no regrets at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cruiter:
Alexandros (05-31-2022), msantram (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 06:07 PM

Picked up the '21 XC60 Recharge to go along with the '21 V60. Both are amazing, though wish the V60 was a T8 Hybrid too. Thanks all for the great advice!
Hope the folks with the '22s get the OTA Software Updates soon.

The following users liked this post:
Cruiter (06-06-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 08:17 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by msantram
Picked up the '21 XC60 Recharge to go along with the '21 V60. Both are amazing, though wish the V60 was a T8 Hybrid too. Thanks all for the great advice!
Hope the folks with the '22s get the OTA Software Updates soon.
I'm sorry that you got fooled by complaints online. Take any product and there will be vocal minority with problems. Users with no issues seldom post online that everything is good giving impression that ALL users have issues which is not true.

I've been using 2022 XC60 for several months now and it's absolutely flawless. It's the best car I ever owned and AAOS just amazing. Anyway, enjoy your new car

Old 06-08-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous owners mostly

Originally Posted by ValidUsername
I'm sorry that you got fooled by complaints online…

AAOS just amazing…
You are right, in the universe of all Volvo cars, those with issues are a minority. On this forum, most of the users are repeat savvy Volvo owners that have specific expectations based on prior ownership experience. I agree that AAOS is a major improvement on the voice recognition function and google maps are better - but only that. How about the dozens of features lost? Depending on whether or not you came to rely on those features - you will find that AAOS improvements are not worth the sacrifice. A personal opinion, yes, is it foolish to bring those up, no way.
That said - the fact that the wait for service appointments with loaners is 6-8 weeks in all 5 dealers around me tells me that something is going on. Maybe these issues affect specific production timeframes? BTW, I have owned an XC60 2022 - an upgrade from an XC60 2019 - for 5 months and so far I got swapped to a new car for computer issues that service could not figure out, and the new car has been towed to service twice because it wouldn’t start. A minority, for sure, a concern, certainly.

Last edited by onfus; 06-08-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:47 PM

I'm sorry that you got fooled by complaints online. Take any product and there will be vocal minority with problems. Users with no issues seldom post online that everything is good giving impression that ALL users have issues which is not true.

I've been using 2022 XC60 for several months now and it's absolutely flawless. It's the best car I ever owned and AAOS just amazing. Anyway, enjoy your new car
Well I really hope that we are minority and please enjoy your flawless XC60 as long as possible.

But at the same time the repeated problems with Google since 2021 and the low reviews, proves that we might be a minority (hopefully), but an important one that must be heard.

Ps: as a previously owner of a flawless XC60 MY2017, I encouragd 3 of my closest friends to choose Volvo. I persuaded 2 out of 3. Well, guess what will be my response now, if a 4th friend asks my opinion....

onfus (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 01:22 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandros
Well I really hope that we are minority and please enjoy your flawless XC60 as long as possible.

But at the same time the repeated problems with Google since 2021 and the low reviews, proves that we might be a minority (hopefully), but an important one that must be heard.

Ps: as a previously owner of a flawless XC60 MY2017, I encouragd 3 of my closest friends to choose Volvo. I persuaded 2 out of 3. Well, guess what will be my response now, if a 4th friend asks my opinion....
For as long as I can remember, and I've been driving over 50 years, the advice has been to wait a year or two or three before buying a new model or an existing model that has been extensively modified. The reasoning is simple; to allow time for the manufacturer to address unforeseen bugs with their design, use of materials and/or construction. Being an early adopter of a new model runs the risk of riding the "bleeding edge" of change. For some time, Volvo's strategy has been to implement identical changes, across all or most of their models, at the same time. When/if this works well, it can be a boon to Volvo's cost savings, via economy of scale and standardization. However, if significant flaws are encountered post-implementation, the resulting problems are amplified, and pose greater cost and danger to the brand's reputation. IMO, Volvo should not have elected to significantly modify all of the vehicles to the Google-based infotainment system, along with associated changes, all at the same time to their fleet. Now Volvo's technical support, suppliers and dealers are all playing catchup to address the myriad of issues that have been reported. With this said, my guess is that most owners probably aren't experiencing significant issues with their new Volvos. However, for the minority of dissatisfied owners, whether the size of this group is small or large, trust in the brand is being questioned, if not totally lost, and damage is being felt by the brand.

The following 2 users liked this post by maggs:
E-Volvo-ing (04-07-2023), onfus (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 03:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

As an early poster on these 22 XC60 threads, I wanted to update. I had the experience of a terrible dealer (in VA) lie to me, saying the car had ApplePlay and the car had automatic parking. I then had zero response from Volvo when I complained other than "it's between you and the dealer." And I experienced the flat out bull**** others have reported, telling me "there's no timetable for CarPlay" "Soon" "Next month" "Three weeks" and so on. I dropped into the dealer (a different one, the dealer in VA will never see me again) for a software update I was told was done and got home to see it hadn't installed. I can't get in for a service appointment for six more weeks (why does my car need to be serviced? Bought in September and 8k on the clock? Dealer doesn't know. But car tells me to call for scheduled maintenance?) and part of the reason I was told is that XC60 22 owners are having multiple problems.

I'm glad for the poster who's super happy with his XC60 22. The rest of us are here to share our stories and sometimes pick up tips so the "I'm alright Jack" attitude in that post doesn't quite fit in.

onfus (06-08-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe that the high number of complaints about 2022 XC60 models is statistically significant, especially for PHEV models. There have not been that many 2022 XC60 PHEVs sold, and indeed the T8 Extended Range version has only been out 1-2 months now in America. But the number of 2022 XC60 T6 and T8 Recharge owners complaining about major problems here and on the other two major Volvo forums online (including especially Swedespeed, where the vast majority of online owner discussions take place) seem to be much higher than you'd expect from the small number of XC60 PHEVs actually sold in 2022 so far. This is not an anomaly (the Google OS problems, the GPS failing, the 12-volt battery dying -- added to key-fob and sunroof-leaking problems). We need answers.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:13 PM

Went on a 5 day business meeting… tried to start my 22 XC60 B5 though completely dead. Had it jump started by Volvo roadside dispatch and it started… unfortunately it wouldn’t exceed 25 mph and was revving at high rpm’s trying to get that fast, or if kept pedal at a constant amount lower kept cutting out (felt like running out of gas). Now a constant message “Stop Safely 12 V Critical Charging Fault”. Had it towed to Volvo… anyone else have similar issue? Making $$ payments for a brand new car I have to question its reliability is totally unacceptable.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:03 PM

I got my XC60 recharge 2 months ago and had no issues until yesterday. My car was parked outside our office in triple digit weather, which is has before. When I started the car, none of the AC buttons were highlighted so I couldn't start the AC. I was sweating profusely! Also my driving mode, which had been defaults to "pure" was stuck on Hybrid and those buttons were not highlighted either so I couldn't get it back to "pure" mode. I turned the car off and on 5-6 times, and the last attempt suddenly fixed all of the issues and I've no problems since. But this is a huge concern for me. Anybody else have these issues?

Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 PM

I am trying to make a "factory reset" but the car is not responding.
if the car is activated, when I push the factory reset button, I receive a message that I must switch of the engine. If I switch the engine off, and push the button the factory reset button again, I get no response. Nothing happens.

Any ideas what to do?

Old 06-29-2022, 05:40 PM

if the car is activated, when I push the factory reset button, I receive a message that I must switch of the engine. If I switch the engine off, and push the button the factory reset button again, I get no response. Nothing happens.

Any ideas what to do?
Disconnect the battery for 2 minutes and that resets the CPU.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Any ideas what to do?
Are you pushing the black button at the bottom of the infotainment screen and holding it for 30 seconds?

I would not advise disconnecting the battery.

Quick Reply: XC60 2022 Nothing but problems