Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

fan and thermometer both broken...weird!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan and thermometer both broken...weird!

Just a little warning for you fellows out there to make sure your thermostats are working properly. I got a surprise this weekend on my 99xc70 when the tempgauge quickly redlined. I stopped the car and noticed that the fan was not on. limping home to stop and refill with water a few times I was amazed at how quickly the coolant heated up. Ona hunch I pulled the thermostat out and It was shot! stuck closed. I now realize that it may have been like that for quite some time and the car was cooling itself using only the fan! OF course with the extra usage the fan fried itself after a while. I pulled the thermostat out and drove around and the gauge never got above half way. Its funny that the temp gauge reads the same 1/2 way with no thermo and no fan- and working fan and stuck closed thermo. I installed a lower temp thermo and have ordered the fanto replace later...whew...I so could have blown a gasket on that one.