Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 xc90 factory DVD, how is it wired?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 xc90 factory DVD, how is it wired?

I'm currently in the market for an XC90 and it seems from what I've read there is no aftermarket device that adds an aux input? I'm sure the path has been explored already but I can't find any mention of it. My question is how is the factory DVD player audio fed to the factory HU? Is it fiber optic too? If it isn't couldn't somthing be done to use that as an aux input? I have an 04 nissan Armada that I was able to hack the factory DVD input to add an aftermarket system that replicates the factory dvd system perfectly. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the DVD to HU? For the Nissan it was simply a matter of connecting two wires to trick the HU into thinking the factory DVD was there then splicing a set of RCA's to the audio inputs.

Here is a link to what I've done to my Armada (carmadapc) that I would like to also do on the XC90 once I locate the one I want....if anyone is interested
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278

Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Default RE: 05 xc90 factory DVD, how is it wired?

I love what you did to your Armada! Unfortunately, the HU/AV/NAV system in the XC90 is all fiber optic and proprietary. The XC90's uses a M.O.S.T. system (as opposed to the MELBUS system on the S60) which providesno after market connectivity -although there is a signature campaign in circulationon this Forumrequesting thatVolvoshare enableafter marketcompanies to work onalternative solutions for 2006 XC90's and older. The 2007 provides thereverse camera option, so that may be one of your options. A lot of people are looking for ways to connectaniPOD,aftermarket AV equipments to the HU of 2006 and older XC90's. There are several threads on this topic in the Volvo Forum as well as http://www.swedspeed.com.

I recommend you contact Sensolutions, Inc. http://www.imiv.ca/ since theyalready developed a solution for the Volvo Melbus system. As far as I know, they have not come up with a M.O.S.T. solution yet. Please let us know if you come up with a solution that does not void the warranty

Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the response. That's what I was afraid of, figured it wasn't that easy or it would of already been done. Does the OEM DVD have aux input jacks by chance?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 PM

Yes, it does. So you can watch DVD on onescreen while playing games on the other screen with separate infrared headsets for sound - all while listening to separate sound sources on each wired headset in the back andradio in the front using the speakers. It can even play DVD on back speakers wheile you listen to a separate audio source on the front speakers.