Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 XC90 Ignition Cylinder, now a PCN module?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 XC90 Ignition Cylinder, now a PCN module?

Hello everyone! First time poster here. I just purchased this XC90 about 4 months ago, has 106k miles on it. One day, out of the blue, the key stopped dead at position 1. Searched through lots of sites and found that the issue was likely the Ignition Cylinder. I called various mechanics and got the following prices $800 from the dealer, $650 from a Euro repair shop and $450 from another Euro repair shop down the street. I talked to the owner and he assured me that he has worked on plenty of these cars and that he would be able to fix the issue in 2 days.

2 days later, he tells me that he needs to special order the part direct from Volvo and it can only be ordered brand new. On top of that, he is going to need to code the 3 keys I have to the new ignition cylinder which is another $150.

8 days later, he says he has the part and installed it. The key is now turning to position 3 but the car won't start. He says that there is a busted PCN module and that the keys are not communicating with the car so it won't start. I asked him if the PCN was busted before or after he fixed the ignition cylinder seeing as how the car started up fine until the moment the key wouldn't turn. Is it possible that these two failures happened simultaneously? He says "I don't know when it was broken but when you brought it to me, the key's wouldn't turn. Now that the keys turn, it won't start. If you're asking me what's wrong, I'm saying 100% that the PCN module is busted."

The PCN module also must be purchased direct from the dealer at a yet unknown price.

Does anyone have any insight to these issues?
Are these common failures that happen together?
Is this a coincidence or do you think the mechanic broke something and is trying to charge me for it?
Does anyone think the mechanic is taking me for a ride?
Any advice to check the work that he is doing?
Should I pull the car out of the shop and take it somewhere else?
How much am I obligated to pay him for the work he's done so far?

I don't have a written estimate or work order from him.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
-Dex

Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

1) The dealer quote is very high. The column lock is about $300. Labor is only about 1.5 hours.
2) The guy you took it to has no idea what he is doing. He has never done this repair, he lied to get the job. It is a super common repair and anyone having done one would know the column lock needs to be ordered from the dealer. It also takes 5-10 days to arrive.
3) The column lock comes coded to the keys. There is no programming or electronic work needed when replacing it.
4) There is no such thing as a "PCM". If he had any experience with repairing Volvo's, he would know this. The keys are read by the antenna ring, which clips onto the column lock. Make sure he transferred this to the new one and has it plugged in.

If you never signed a repair order with an estimate, I don't think he can legally charge you anything. For less of a fight, pay him for the part (again, it should be around $300) and take the car elsewhere.

This reminds me of a quote I heard once:

If you think hiring a professional mechanic is expensive, try hiring a cheap one.

Last edited by ES6T; 10-01-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and tell him about the clip. Also going to tell him if the car isn't fixed by today, I'm pulling it out of his shop and taking it to Volvo and only paying for the parts. That mechanic quote is funny and true but I just couldn't believe $800 from the dealer especially after checking the price of the part online.

Again, thanks a bunch. I needed some assurance.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

$800 is high indeed. But buying it online won't work because it has to come from Volvo and is ordered using a key code associated with the VIN.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES6T
1) The dealer quote is very high. The column lock is about $300. Labor is only about 1.5 hours.
2) The guy you took it to has no idea what he is doing. He has never done this repair, he lied to get the job. It is a super common repair and anyone having done one would know the column lock needs to be ordered from the dealer. It also takes 5-10 days to arrive.
3) The column lock comes coded to the keys. There is no programming or electronic work needed when replacing it.
4) There is no such thing as a "PCM". If he had any experience with repairing Volvo's, he would know this. The keys are read by the antenna ring, which clips onto the column lock. Make sure he transferred this to the new one and has it plugged in.

If you never signed a repair order with an estimate, I don't think he can legally charge you anything. For less of a fight, pay him for the part (again, it should be around $300) and take the car elsewhere.

This reminds me of a quote I heard once:

If you think hiring a professional mechanic is expensive, try hiring a cheap one.
There's a difference between a mechanic and a tech. lol Theres a such thing as a PCM, but not a PCN lol The dude is PMS ing :P

Old 10-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

PCM usually means "Powertrain Control Module" on other brands. Volvo doesn't use that term.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM

PCM usually means "Powertrain Control Module" on other brands. Volvo doesn't use that term.
Swedish is hard to understand lol :P You forgot to mention what is called for the Audience. C E M :P There are people out there that refer to it as PCM, not everyone knows the volvo terms :P

Old 10-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I know not everyone knows the correct terminology. That was the point of me saying the guy working on this car doesn't know what he is talking about. The CEM doesn't control the powertrain, so it would be inaccurate either way to call the CEM the PCM.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 PM

I know not everyone knows the correct terminology. That was the point of me saying the guy working on this car doesn't know what he is talking about. The CEM doesn't control the powertrain, so it would be inaccurate either way to call the CEM the PCM.
It's an ECU. No one has mentioned that the CEM controls the Powertrain in a volvo. FORD and GM use the term PCM for their Central control module, and so do others but with a different term. "You have to think stupid, to fix something stupid" lol

Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

If you mean "Engine Control Unit", it is not. If you mean "Electronic Control Unit", it is. But then so are about 22 other modules in the car. I don't care what GM and Ford do. I was simply saying that the guy working on the original poster's car does not know what he is doing or talking about. Move on.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Default Same issue with key to position 1.

My problem is I can't get my XC90 out of my garage to get it to the shop. I followed a few instructions dismantling ignition switch. I can start the vehicle now manually turning the ignition switch. What do I need to do to allow the shifter to leave park. Just need to start it once to get it to the mechanic. Can't afford the tow. Please help.

This is the step in the instructions I was following that I can not figure out.
" remove the shifter line which comes out of the cylinder lock. ( this allows you to shift out of park) then push it in with your finger and ....voila.

Thanks everybody.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dryansparky
My problem is I can't get my XC90 out of my garage to get it to the shop. I followed a few instructions dismantling ignition switch. I can start the vehicle now manually turning the ignition switch. What do I need to do to allow the shifter to leave park. Just need to start it once to get it to the mechanic. Can't afford the tow. Please help.

This is the step in the instructions I was following that I can not figure out.
" remove the shifter line which comes out of the cylinder lock. ( this allows you to shift out of park) then push it in with your finger and ....voila.

Thanks everybody.

This mechanical line runs out the back of the lock, i.e., toward the firewall, toward the front of the vehicle. IIRC I used needle nosed pliers to remove it (after opening the clip). It was too stiff for me to remove with my fingers. I think I pressed the clip with my fingers and moved it just enough with my fingers so that the clip stayed open then grasped it with needle nose pliers and with wiggling pulled it out. I then tied the inner cable wire in the "in" position with either a cable tie or a piece of wire so that I would not have to locate and manipulate the cable each time I started the engine and wanted to shift out of Park.

Last edited by JamesG; 10-29-2014 at 06:12 AM.