Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control problems

Hi guys.

I got my factorynew XC90 2,4 D5 in dec 05 and I must say that I am already sick and tired being the owner.

After a trip to Austria with wife and kids I must say the climate control sucks.......especially after two trips to the dealer where they
say it works 100% ok.

The problem is different temp. between left and right side and cold air coming from pasenger side + rear seats ducts even with
the temperatur controller set at 24-26 degrees celcius / 75-78 degrees fahrenheit, my wife and kids complain a lot
Furthermore icecold air coming from the passengerside footroom right side.

Im getting very desperate.......any help around.

I HATE when dealers look at me with that sad face like I is my own fault[:@].

Greetings,
Jacob

Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Climate control problems

Did you try a different Dealer?

Old 02-18-2006, 05:54 AM

HI.

This is with two different dealers...

Greetings,
Jacob
The sad Dane

Old 02-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That is very sad that they can't even figure it out.
But it is hard to diag. over the Internet. It would need to be done with the computer equiptment.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had similar problem w/ my wife's V8 -cold air on the driver's side at the feet even if the temp. setting is above pass. side's temperature.
Problem was I could not replicate w/ dealer because when I came to them it was not too cold -first time they said that they did not find any faults in ECC , but -"re-calibrated the system". Well, still same when cold. The second time I came in it was warm again, so no problem at the shop, BUT: tech said that there was SOFTWARE UPGRADE AVAILABLE and was surprised it was not done before. That upgrade fixed the problem.
Good luck.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM

I had a similar issue on my 2005 XC90 V8. We eventually tracked it down (after 4 service visits) to a loose/warped cover for the electronics module on the firewall.

A combination of replacing a warped cover and insuring that ALL of the fasteners were in place solved the issue.

This module cover sits just above the accelerator pedal and will blow air into the driver's and/or passengers footwell.

Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
jbutts (04-11-2022)
Old 03-07-2006, 04:18 PM

I do not currently own a XC90 but had a similar problem with an auto HVAC system on an Eddie Bauer Explorer. When I took it in the HVAC guy said there was no problem. Like you, I knew better and had brought along a temperature probe. I pulled out my temp probe - the difference at the floor between driver and passenger side was 25 degrees F, the pax side being 25 degrees colder.

These systems operate by small vacuum servos that attach to a manifold via small plastic tubes, which control operation. One of the small plastic lines was pinched, restricting vacuum and subsequent control of its servo. The heated/cooled air never made it to where it was suppose to go. I'm assuming most auto systems operate similarly.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:36 AM

The software upgrade is most likely what you will need, if not it might be the damper motors. I hope it's under warranty.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:13 PM

I dealt with a very similar problem on an 04 xc90 recently. For many a simple software upgrade would remedy the problem, but in my case, the damper motors had gone bad. This created a whole slew of problems. Turns out the damper motors had gone bad, shorted to power and killed the climate control. After 3 weeks in the shop, removing the dash and a whole host of other things, we finally located the problem. I would advise any of you that have this same problem to first try the software upgrade, then look at the damper motors and CCM to see if they are still functioning correctly.

The following users liked this post:
luiscorreap (09-02-2021)
Old 06-10-2006, 06:43 PM

Volvos just have problems with there AC systems from the S60 to the 80 to even the new S40. not as much on the old style S40. When you pull a car in to check codes on anything you will never see one come in with out a damper motor code. The AC case flexes a little with temp change. So when a damper motor moves it will drag a little and after this it will be out of adjustment. Wich you take it in to the dealership the do a AC blend door recalibration. And all is fixed. Tell it happens again.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Default Climate control problems

Originally Posted by Ihatespeedbumps
I dealt with a very similar problem on an 04 xc90 recently. For many a simple software upgrade would remedy the problem, but in my case, the damper motors had gone bad. This created a whole slew of problems. Turns out the damper motors had gone bad, shorted to power and killed the climate control. After 3 weeks in the shop, removing the dash and a whole host of other things, we finally located the problem. I would advise any of you that have this same problem to first try the software upgrade, then look at the damper motors and CCM to see if they are still functioning correctly.
Hi there! I have a very similar problem with my XC-60 2011. The official dealer informed me that damper motors failure could be one reason of the general climate system problems, but they were not sure if by changing them (for USD$ 3000, 15% of car value) the issue would solve all the problems. for example also the passenger seat heater , rear-mirror heaters also do not work.
Did you have to change the climate control unit also? I would apprecciate your feedback

Old 05-20-2022, 02:11 PM
V90

My experience at the dealer has been very similar. They pretty much told me that if I choose auto climate, I shouldn't expect the system to perform properly and almost refused to consider my issue.

In my case, the climate system performs wonderfully as long as I don't try to go above 2 for the fan setting. The moment I go to 3,4, or 5, it goes straight to maximum fan output and stays there. The service manager told me that there's nothing they can do and that "the system is just trying really hard to make the cabin perfect".

I love my vehicle despite this but I'm worried about what other software glitches are waiting for me down the line. Not the Volvo experience I was expecting.

Last edited by V90; 05-20-2022 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo