Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Keys

I was gifted a 2004 XC90 with no keys. What's my cheapest option to get this car going? Im not sure, but if I purchase an ECM, Key, and immobilizer out of a junkyard XC90 would that work? Thank you.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:16 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by pizat2
What's my cheapest option to get this car going? .
Cheapest? Sorry - can't answer that - but using junkyard parts trying to make this free car work - WILL NOT WORK. Or just mess around with it and get very frustrated with stuff that does not work - and then give up and purchase a key.

Cheapest -

Call your local dealer - give them the VIN and proof that you own the vehicle. Order a Key using the VIN. Not the switchblade key - a plain chip key pictured below.

The key will arrive precut from Volvo and should work in the doors and ignition lock. If not return it!

Then - after you charge/replace the battery and if you determine your free car is worth spending any more on - Have the car towed to someone (usually a dealership or a big Volvo indi) and have them "program" the car to accept the signal from the new key using VIDA. (at least ~$200) Then you will be able to figure out why the car was abandoned. It probably will will not start or run so you will have to have it towed again to where that problem will be solved.

Reality check - if your "free" 2004 xc90 is a T6 - it probably has a bad transmission. That will cost more than the car is worth to fix. There is a reason someone abandoned the car!!!!

Last edited by hoonk; 03-08-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the information. So to be clear, the hard key ordered by the dealership using the VIN will work to at least get the car started? Also, it was gifted to me because of a death in the family, not abandoned.

Old 03-08-2023, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by pizat2
to be clear, the hard key ordered by the dealership using the VIN will work to at least get the car started?
If you order a key using the VIN, it will be precut and will unlock the door/trunk and turn the ignition. The car will not start until VIDA is used (at your local dealer) to tell the "immobilizer" in the car to accept the new key. Then It should start the car (as long as you have a good battery, good gas,etc) If you want a remote to lock/unlock the doors than can be purchased and "programmed" by itself later.

What model/engine 2004 do you have? T5, T6 awd? (designation on the tailgate)

Most the the modules are "coded" to the VIN of the car. If you change the ECM, key (i'm guessing the steering column lock with the key) and the "immobilizer (which is in the CEM) ---------- many other control units will still not work because they are not "coded" to your junkyard parts. . (EUM, TCM, REM, DDM, PDM, CCM AND SRS, Icm, etc. )

Last edited by hoonk; 03-08-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:59 AM

It says AWD on the tailgate. The car has 150,000 miles on it and is in ok condition. Are dealers the only ones who have VIDA and can do the programming? Im just trying to figure out if its worth fixing for just selling for parts. Thank you for the help!

Old 03-10-2023, 08:23 AM

If a 2004 only says AWD on the tailgate, you should have the more reliable 5 cyl engine transmission combination - congratulations. Those transmissions in the 5cyl cars have problems - but nothing like the GM trans used in the 6 cyl cars. Open the hood and count the injectors to make sure.

VIDA is needed to "program" the car to accept the signal from a new key. Anyone can purchase and use a VIDA subscription (in the US, don't know about the rest of the world) You must have a compatible CPU and a DICE unit that connects the car to your CPU.

My independent Volvo shop would purchase a subscription when needed to "program" new modules. And I did that at least 100 times over a 15 year period. - So no, dealers are not the only ones that can make your new key work.

I saw a thread recently on swedespeed where someone had a company remotely "program" keys for their car - that person did have access to a DICE unit - here's a link to that thread https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/j.../#post-8049664

Vida subscription details can be found at Volvotechinfo.com

Last edited by hoonk; 03-10-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:17 AM

If you have lost the keys to your 2004 Volvo XC90, there are a few options to get the car going again, but it will depend on the specific circumstances.

One option is to contact a local locksmith who specializes in automotive locks and keys. They may be able to create a new key for your car by cutting a new key based on the vehicle identification number (VIN) and then programming it to the vehicle. This may be the most cost-effective option if the car's immobilizer system is still functioning and you only need a new key.

If the immobilizer system has been triggered, a new key alone may not be enough to get the car running. In that case, you may need to replace the ECM (engine control module) and immobilizer system along with a new key. It may be possible to purchase these components from a junkyard XC90 and have them installed by a mechanic or locksmith. However, keep in mind that there may be additional costs associated with programming and installation.

Overall, the cost of getting your car going again will depend on the specific circumstances, and it's best to consult with a professional locksmith or mechanic who can evaluate the situation and provide a cost estimate.