Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

multiple problems

Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple problems

I have an '05 T6 AWD, which I took possession of back in November '04. I have almost 16,000 miles on it, and I have already had it in the shop more than all of my other previous cars combined. During the winter the radio would start scanning on its own and could not be stopped. After several trips to the dealership, i was told that this problem was occurring with some frequency in the colder climates (I live in Birmingham, AL) and it had to do with the contacts on the steering wheel radio controls. They replaced the steering wheel radio controls and the problem has not occurred again.

Shortly after that, my check engine light started coming on. I was told by the dealer that there was some problem with the computer program that sensed whether there was air getting into the gas line. The parameters were set too narrow. After several weeks the dealer was able to obtain the new software and get it downloaded onto my car. That problem has not occurred again.

Next, my windshield washer sprayers for both the front and rear stopped working. They found a "short circuit" in the washer pump motor, and replaced the motor. It has worked properly since then. Just last week I was driving down the interstate when a warning messsage appeared on my dash. "Anti-skid system needs service." I pulled out my owners manual, and it said that when this message appears, pull the vehicle over, stop the engine, and then start it back up, which I did. Rather than going away, the message changed to "Ant-skid system temporarily off."
I took it back to the dealer, and I am told that the steering angle sensor module is intermittently faulty and needs to be replaced. That part is on order.

Finally, I also had the same problems with the radio system sounding very muffled. I was also told that you cannot play the radio in Dolby PL II, only the CD player.

To say the least I am very disappointed with this vehicle so far. While I love the look and the ride (when it's not in the shop), I have never had a car with this many problems. Is there anyone out there that has had any of these problems or that has experienced similar problems with such frequency? Should I start getting Volvo NA involved?

Old 06-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: multiple problems

Unfortunitly there was some bugs in the first few years of the XC90.
I have heard of all of these problems before.
When this vehicle came out new it wasn't tested in other country's like the previous models.
There will be some bugs to be worked out with the new models.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Have you seen this many problems with one car? I do not believe that I have gone a single month without having to take it to the shop. What does Volvo NA have to say about all of these problems?

Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

They really don't have to much to say about it.
You can try contacting them.I have seen some have as many problems if not more.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck in getting the parent company involved!!! Volvo is terrible and the warranty has so many "loop holes" in it that the warranty becomes almost worthless. The major items are covered but after the first year............good luck on getting the windows re-aligned (c-70), squeaks and rattles resolved, and a plethora of other nagging issues. Audi, BMW, and Mazda dealers bend over backwards to please the customer. I have one of each and have never had an issue...............indeed............BMW took care of a problem with an auto I kept over the warranty period. BUT............Volvo makes vehicles that simply appeal to people......they are not cookie cut outs of other autos and those of us who own them enjoy them very much and deal with the problems as best that we can. Lastly, Tech is invaluable in as far as his considerable knowlege of the vehicles and can point you in the right direction when you do have a problem................ie: less of a dealer "run around".