Replacement door Electrical don't work

Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement door Electrical doesn't work

2002 XC70 has had a front drivers replacement door from a 2006 XC70. Problem is that windows controlled from front drivers can not be operated; door lock button does not trigger lock, mirror buttons do not operate mirrors. However, if the door lock post is pushed down manually, then the door electrically locks the door, making it seem like there is power to the door.

The original equipment socket at the door from the 2002 was simply plugged into the mating socket from the 2006 door. These plugs are compatible. The old 2002 door was working electrically, allowing normal control of windows, locks, mirrors.

Is this a computer problem where the ECM or other module isn't recognizing the DDM (Drivers Door Module)? Any thoughts on ways to fix this?

Last edited by godfearer960; 07-19-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The last time that I checked on any door switches on a Volvo of that era I learned that they are programmed to the car. Yup, replace a door switch and you buy a software download.

My suggestion is to switch out the master window switch with the original one and everything will be back to normal.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM

tony1963, thanks for considering my issue. I figure you're right. Too bad for me since the time to remove and replace the door doing it this way was about 20 minutes. Seems like Volvo could have allowed any DDM to work without losing any of their functionality or control.

Anyway, I have VIDAS DICE, but I have never obtained or loaded any software. Have you bought and loaded software yourself?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 PM

There is no way to program a previously encoded part that I am aware. This means that the part is matched to the car and that's that. If you can get the old switch, it will match the central electronics module.

Volvo sees that switch as part of the security system, I guess, and matches the parts to the car. I think that it is nonsense and is showing up now as these vehicles age as a major inconvenience.

An individual can buy and download software and it requires a 3-day subscription at a minimum. I've considered doing this a few times, but we rarely have a need to download new software and when we do, we just go to the local dealer that we have used for many, many years.

Just change the switch from the old door if you can get it.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM

OK...here is a hard question for me...maybe easier for you. Inside the door, there is a wiring harness that goes to many things (speaker, main window lock mirror control, door lock). I am assuming the DDM (Drive Door Module) is actually the main window lock mirror control...so that would be the only thing I would need to exchange with the original. In VIDAS it is refered to as "3/126".

Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 PM

If you study the drawing carefully, 3/126 as you mention is the driver's master switch, otherwise known as the DDM. I believe that there are a couple of connections there.

If you change out the switch from the old door or the 3/126 as you mention, that should take care of that. Your car is not recognizing the current DDM but when you manually lock or unlock the doors, the latch sees that transaction and locks/unlocks the other doors accordingly.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:53 PM

The original DDM was installed on the replacement door. None of the switches work. Plus, while operating the car, the car believes the door is open even though it is shut. So, there must be a lot more different in the replacement door. I am considering pulling the original door harness that is inside the old door, but find it hard to believe the CEM would understand the difference in a harness. Starting to make me think that you can't ever replace a door, which must not be true since accidents require replacing whole doors.

Last edited by godfearer960; 07-28-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:54 PM

I have went back to the original door with the original DDM (Drivers Door Module) and now all the switches work. Doesn't solve my problem, so I'll have to keep analyzing.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:13 PM

I'm not sure what problem remains now that all of the switches work. You didn't remove the entire door did you?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:21 AM

The problem that remains is that I had a replacement door that has a working window. The original door does not have a working window. Every time the original door window is used, the window comes off the track. I have made the repair on the track a number of times, each time, the ball joints in the slider pops out when the windows is triggered to go down.

Since I have made that repair to the drivers window 5 times and it has not worked 5 times, I have resolved that a new door would be the most prudent and fastest route to getting my window to work. However, there is something about the replacement door that is telling the control system there is something wrong. And since I put the replacement door on the with original DDM, it must be something else about the door that is causing the control system to shut down communications since none of the switches work on the DDM in this configuration. If I knew what about the replacement door was triggering the issue with the control system, maybe I could resolve that. As it stands, it is not clear exactly what the control system is seeing that is not right.

So currently, I am back to the original door with the original switch where all the switches work, but the window on the drivers door disconnects from the track and falls out if it is operated, so I have to leave the window in the full up position and be careful to not trigger the window, because once it starts coming back down, it will release from the track and fall out.

Here are my thoughts about why the replacement door isn't being allowed to communicate with the control system:
1) There is some identifier in the harness which the control system sees which is not matched to the control system properly
2) There is an identifier in the door lock mechanism that is different than the original door lock mechanism which is not matched to the control system properly.
3) The replacement door is a 2006, where the original door is a 2002 and there is a device that the control system is looking for that is part of the 2002 that simply isn't there on the 2006
4) Since it appears the ambient air sensor is in the driver's door (I think), maybe the air sensor in the replacement door is somehow identifying the door as wrong.
5) There is something wired different in the harness where, even though the connectors match exactly, there is a change in wire routing to the connector pins of the replacement door wiring harness as compared to the original wire routing to the connector pins.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 AM

I am not aware of any changes to the latch that would require them to be coded to the car. They have a switch inside that tells what position the lock is in, but other than that, it is just a dumb piece.

Check to see if the latch from a 2006 model is the same as a 2002. My guess is that they are not.

I thought that you had changed the door due to accident damage but if you have the window not holding properly, that's the problem to chase. Get a diagram from the dealer and change the damaged parts only.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:29 PM
Default Solution found

Very disappointed that I could not use the replacement door. Went back to the original door. Found this web article: Sticky? How to remove XC70 window regulator, straighten & re-install with Screws/nuts and followed the instructions to replace the window lift mechanism with another undamaged used window lift mechanism. The only difference from the instructions in the web article is that I used a cutting wheel instead of drilling out the rivets. The drilling attempt was ineffective. So, the window now works, which is good, but disappointed I couldn't exchange the door. Finally, thought I can't find it right now, I did stumble across a definition of the two wiring connectors that plug in to the window DDM (Drivers Door Module). Basically, it was the schematic that I was requesting help finding above. While I found it (finally!) it took me way to long to find it and so far it seems to be a one-off. I really would expect this level of detail for all the pins on all the connectors on the car in the VIDA tool, but so far, have not found a reliable way to locate many of them. Still open to suggestions on where in VIDA or elsewhere pin descriptions are offered for various connectors on the car.