General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty or not?

I recently bought a 2001 "Volvo Certified" S60 T5 and it has sprung a leak. There is a small metal hose leaking radiator fluid near the radiator itself. I can see that the hose has just rubbed against a piece of metal too long and has finally started leaking. Does anyone know if this is something that is covered by the warranty? I am sure it is, but before I take it to Volvo to have them fix it, I thought I would ask. My dealership said that they would have to look at it to determine wether or not it was covered.

Thanks for any help,
Swish

Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Warranty or not?

I would think I would be.Its not like it is a rubber line that went bad. It is a metal line.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:52 AM

Update:

I took the car to the dealer and found out that it was a high pressure coolant line. What I thought was antifreeze, was actually coolant with a dye in it to make it bright green. They told me that it was not covered under the Certified warranty, but would have been covered under the New Car warranty. They are charging me $470 to replace the line. [sm=boosign.gif] My salesman told me that the Certified warranty covered everything that the New Car warranty did. This is NOT true. Hoses and pipes are NOT covered. I am not going to make a big fuss about this, but I am going to let my salesman know about this post. I think he needs to read up on his warranties. Me too. I am going to pick up my car tomorrow and a copy of the warranty along with it. I still love Volvos, but $500 is a lot to spend in the first month owning the thing. [:'(] I hope this is just a fluke.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2990/10669C739D084278BD1123225FC41435.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2990/D8BE1964A66F415B81CF0F1410992CAB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2005, 04:57 PM

I would recommend that you speak to the General Manager or Owner of the dealership about this issue. I also would also call Volvo and explain the problem that you are having with the dealership and the "certified" car. You also might be protected by the laws of where you live. The bottom line this car is "Certified" and is guaranteed problem free and you pay more for the vehicle for this. I also would recommend filing a complaint with the BBB. I worked for Volkswagen of America and I know how to get car manufactures and dealers to do the right thing. The dealer did not inspect the vehicle properly and there is a way to prove it and make the dealer pay or have Volvo pay for it under the good will policy. Do not hesitate to ask me for help. I hate dishonest dealers.[:@]

Old 10-05-2005, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the input. I really don't want to have to go the BBB route, but I will probably be sending a letter to Volvo. I work in the custom electronics business and I have had products that have failed due to issues that are not covered under warranty. We make it a point to always take care of the customers. We might "eat" it on that item, but the customers always comes back. I am on my second Volvo and I do plan on buying others. But, if they are going to be like this and I haven't even had the car for a month, I might have to rethink my position regarding this dealer. Like you said, I did pay extra for the "Certified" warranty. I expected an item like this to be covered. It was obviously a defect in the product that caused the leak. I am goint to quit ranting now. [sm=bs.gif]

P.S.
I tried to get my dealership to fax me over a copy of the warranty and the secretary told me that the gentleman that could do this was out for the day. I called back and asked the service department to fax me over a copy and they said that I could pick one up when I picked up my car. I then called their competitor and I had a copy in my hand within the hour. [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator

I would complain like there is no tomorrow.

Yes Certified should mean covered from defects.Was there alot of green there?
They might have missed it during the inspection.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:40 PM

It had just started to leak to point where it was puddling up on my garage floor. I didn't notice it before, but that does not mean that it wasn't leaking. It just got to the point where I started noticing it on my floor the other day. I originally thought it was a little overflow from the radiator. Maybe the car was running hot or something. Needle never showed it though. Anyway, I picked it up tonight and they didn't have a copy of the "Certified" warranty like they said they would. Suprise, suprise. [sm=smiley21.gif] I let the receptionist know that I had already received a copy of the warranty from their biggest competitor. I will let you know what happens.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Administrator

ok keep me posted.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:23 AM

The Certified warranty should have covered it, the Used car warranty seems to be better than the New car warranty!!!!

Old 11-15-2005, 08:30 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have purchased many new autos since 1960 and my Volvo I have found has the absolutely worst warranty! After three months, the warranty would not cover the rattle in the sun roof sun shade, the window adjustment, and a plethora of other ****ling issues. I will keep this Volvo for a long time as I truly enjoy the styling (c70) but I will not buy another. I have found the Japanese bend over backwards to please you and BMW does a fine job.................just something about Volvo..........
Reg

Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 AM

If you do get a warranty get one from a third party company. My experience has been great. Good luck!

http://click-nsave.com/bmwwarranty/volvocovered.php
http://click-nsave.com/bmwwarranty/volvocoverage.php
http://click-nsave.com/bmwwarranty/volvo.php