New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Upgrading a 2003 XC70

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading a 2003 XC70

Hi
I am currently trying to upgrade my stock XC70 to something with a bit less fuel consumption and more power. The few things I've looked into:

ECU tune
Cold Air Intake
3" exhaust
Performance Downpipe
V70R injectors
New turbocharger

So, just to start this off, I am a high school student and I do not have surplus amounts of money. My biggest concern is the ECU tuning and upgrading. I've heard a lot of really good things about the IPD softloader and some things about RICA tuning. My first concern is the fact that IPD's softloader is $900. And without having an ECU tune, a lot of the other parts become obsolete. What is a good software loader/company I can look into for under $500? I really don't want to shuck out money for something subpar. I've seen a lot of stuff floating through eBay but a lot of it seems too sketchy for me. Do people sell used softloaders anywhere that I could purchase them?

Secondly, I want to get a bigger turbo. I've thought about going with a KKK-K24 turbo off of the newer models but I'm still not sure what exaclty to go for. I've heard people going for Garrett turbos and Borg Warner turbos. I'm gonna be real here, I get so lost when I look into turbos. There are so many out there and I just can't quite tell what's going to be compatible with my car. A new K24 is about $1,500--way too much for me. I've seen a couple of used ones online but I'm so worried I might get a bad one and it end up destroying my car. The last used one I was looking at was $300. I was wondering if it's worth it. Below is a link to the turbo itself. If I got it used, is there anything I can replace on it to ensure it's not going to break down? I mean cleaning and stuff of course, but like a new blowoff valve and possibly a new billet wheel? I'm not sure if a bearing set would be available. Maybe someone could help me understand what I should do.

The used K24 I was looking at:
Volvo 2007 S60R R V70R TURBO OEM USED BORG WARNER KKK-K24 Turbo 30757114, | eBay

Another concern I have is the cost of exhaust and downpipes. I mean holy heck, $1,200 for IPD's downpipe??? I figured it should be a fourth of what it costs. But I have no idea where to look or what parts would actually be decent enough to be worth it. And exhaust is $800 as well. For a straight metal pipe, it doesn't quite make sense to me. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a cheap exhaust system. I would honestly like to just have a bigger pipe and maybe a glasspack or something similar to that design at most.

Sorry to sound like such a dummy, but I am completely new to Volvo and upgrading them. Seems like quite a conundrum unless you've got the pocket to do it. Thanks to anyone who can offer any insight.