Brought the new Volvo home

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought the new Volvo home

Hey all,

The car made it back from Texas...though there were times I was sort of expecting a Blues Brothers finish. The car isn't quite as nice as the guy described, and there were a few things he neglected to tell me, or just flat out didn't tell the truth about. The first, and worst offense was that he told me the overdrive worked (it's an automatic), except that it doesn't. You can push the button on the shifter, and it engages and disengages the light on the dash display, but the car doesn't shift. So...that drive from Texas to Ohio was done between mostly at 62mph. I was trying to search the forums since I know a failing overdrive is a common problem, but if my light still works, does that mean the relay still works, and I'm probably looking at a solenoid issue? It's also got some oil leaks, like, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and possibly a valve cover gasket? The worst part of the drive was that there seems to be some power delivery issue. When accelerating especially, or while the cruise was engaged even, the car would sometimes be a little bit jerky, like it was having fractions of a second of power loss. It didn't usally affect the speed at which I could drive, but it sometimes made acceleration even slower, or I would lose more speed climbing hills. I thought maybe it was a fuel pump issue, but it did it regardless of how much fuel was in the tank. I figured replacing the spark plugs might help, and in any case couldn't hurt. I'm also pretty sure that the tailgate wiring harness is shot, since the rear wiper, nor the license plate lights work, but my front wipers are a bit odd too. When I first got the car, only intermittent, and low worked. As I drove, the higher speed setting started to work, albiet none of them were that fast, but it started to make a funny smell on high. I treated the windshield with rain-x. Presently the windshield washer fluid pump seems to not be working either, but I suspect it would be best to start with an extensive fuse box inspection. Thus the project begins.

Wes

Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brought the new Volvo home

Sounds like all the usual suspects.