Inspection of Drive line.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspection of Drive line.

Hello fellow Volvo Drivers,

My 1991 740 Turbo sedan recently had a transmission conversion done, AW-71 or the such to an M-47. I took it for a 500 mile or so test drive and every thing worked like a Volvo, as it should. yes, though i would point out that after a 200 mile drive i noticed putting into 4th gave me a bit of a grinding, 4th is the only gear with this glitch, hmm. when the trans is cool this 4th grind is not an issue.

And moving right along, I am starting to notice a sound as though the drive line/shaft is wobbling and feel the stick shifter gyrating as this sound occurs. usually this occurs either when the Volvo is cold and/or from first to third gear. putting the clutch down and slowing and driving in 2nd or 3rd, the gyration or apparant feeling occurs. I wish to inspect the drive line components to ensure all is well and/or resolve my Volvo's ailment. Please, what suggestions are there in procedure and things to look for?

I have a Chilton Volvo 1990-98 coups/sedans/wagons repair manual and a "hit-and-miss" guy i can talk to for know-how on extensive repair...nontheless, this repair manual is a bit vague at points. I also have looked at brickboard's 700-900 maintenance guides, which are quite awsome.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, thank you all.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Inspection of Drive line.

Look at the engine and trans mounts and driveshaft carrier bearing for the Vibration.

The Grinding might be a Snycro in the transmission also make sure the fluid is full.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:20 AM

hey thanks for replying,

ok, so i would be checking for a wobble with the bearing or unsmooth travel correct? what else can i check via on-the-spot visual ques upon a possible culprit.
So, reading guides for this, i will attempt to remove the drive shaft with alingment in mind. any snags along the way to look out for when removing the shaft? excess pressure needed? contingent supporting?

i read the m-47 has a 5th gear vertical placement issuse regarding lubrication. onwards suggesting at least two quarts of either a default of engine oil or another suggestion is ATF A/T fluid. you hear anything about this? I believe i read it on the brickboard FAQ tables.

Hey, again thank you.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Look for Wear of the Bearing carrier(rubber around bearing)

If you seperate the driveshaft be careful and yes mark it before you pull it apart.
Make sure it slides easy if it is bound up then you might need to find a new one.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 AM

Thank you,

awsome, looking at the rubber bushing for the center support bearing it was a bit mooshy, though i have no other example to compare it too. I was able to move the driveshaft around with the rubber bushing more than able to allow for the movement, with this movement i was in no supprise as to why there might be a vibration. with regards to the bushing's integrety; should it feel more firm or soft, i would say t'was a bit soft, a bit softer than tire rubber.

and n/m the tranny comment. i saw a website regarding it's resolve.

again, thank you.