PNP switch issue maybe? or Tranny? Guru help (I'm stuck in college apts.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PNP switch issue maybe? or Tranny? Guru help (I'm stuck in college apts.)

So, I'm pretty sure that my PNP switch is going bad because the yellow arrow light comes on at times. Sometimes when reversing and sometimes (but very little) when i'm driving. My transmissions only issue is when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th I have to lift off the gas pedal or accelerate pretty slowly for the tranny to shift gears. My question is, is that gear shifting issue at all related to the PNP switch, or simply the shifter cable.

Also as I am far away living in apartments, is replacing the PNP switch (and aligning and all that) do-able in an apartment parking lot or should I save that for my Dad's garage?

Last question, My car won't start. I had to get it towed home. It is getting power to the starter but not turning over. The starter seemed weak prior to this. So this is most likely a dead starter and has nothing to do with my PNP issues, would you all agree with that assumption?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Car: 1994 volvo 940 a/t non-turbo sedan regina

Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may not have enough power in the battery to turn the motor over. (i.e. old). Have it checked at one of the autoparts places (i.e. o'reilys, autozone, advance auto etc.). I believe they can also check the starter as well.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

PNP (neutral safety switch) has nothing to do with your overdrive arrow, or the shifting. All that switch does is prevent the car from starting when in any gear except P or N. Shift cable, may be, I'd change the tranny fluid first and see...
How do you know the starter is weak? Is the battery Ok? At least 12 volts?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

indeed, sluggish shifting MIGHT get fixed by a ATF flush, but it also could be a sign the bands are worn and the tranny needs a rebuild. for sure, check the transmission throttle control cable first, if thats too tight, the engine will shift later.

the OD arrow going on/off sponataneously could be an indication the OD relay, or the button wiring is failing. does it shift in/out of 4th/OD when this happens?

the sluggish start could be bad battery (or an alternator thats not keeping the battery charged), corroded wiring, or a dying starter motor. after your car has been parked a few hours, the voltage across the battery should be about 12.6 volts (assuming average ambient temperature) and when you start the car, it should be 13.6-13.9V, indicating the alternator is charging the battery. the other thing to test, battery residual capacity, requires a special meter which a auto battery store, or auto electric repair shop, should have, they put this across the battery, and push a button that puts a big heavy load on the battery and measure how fast the voltage drops. too fast, and the battery is tired and old, and should be replaced.