Push button Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button Start

Ok so here is the situation. I went away to college and my mom started driving my 1987 740 GLE. One day she broke the key off in the ignition and no one could get it out. Instead of re keying the car I just asked the mechanic to drill out the ignition so I could just turn the ignition switch and start the car thinking perhaps I could turn the car into a push button start on my return from college. Now I am back and have looked and looked and cant find a write up on how to do it especially considering the situation that I am in with the drilled out ingnition. I was wondering 1) If you have a write up somewhere on how to do this or any experience that would help me and 2) If no one has a write up, if someone knows what pins are doing what with each turn of the key. That way I could just rig up a switch to turn the correct pins on for the run position and then have a button hooked up to the starter.

Sorry if that last part was confusing any help anyone has will be helpful.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Default RE: Push button Start

The first position is power for the accessories, the second is power to the engine, the third with the spring return is a switch to provide power to the starter motor. You want tosolder the push button to the last contacts for the starter. When the push button is pressed it will make the connection for power to the starter and when the spring returns the button, the switch is opened and no power.

Hope this makes sense and gives you what you want.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Beardog
The first position is power for the accessories, the second is power to the engine, the third with the spring return is a switch to provide power to the starter motor. You want tosolder the push button to the last contacts for the starter. When the push button is pressed it will make the connection for power to the starter and when the spring returns the button, the switch is opened and no power.

Hope this makes sense and gives you what you want.
How about a diagram?

Old 11-26-2021, 04:24 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

These are posts from 2007!
Better start a new tread if you have a similar issue.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:29 PM

spend a little and make it an auto start

Originally Posted by slim109
Ok so here is the situation. I went away to college and my mom started driving my 1987 740 GLE. One day she broke the key off in the ignition and no one could get it out. Instead of re keying the car I just asked the mechanic to drill out the ignition so I could just turn the ignition switch and start the car thinking perhaps I could turn the car into a push button start on my return from college. Now I am back and have looked and looked and cant find a write up on how to do it especially considering the situation that I am in with the drilled out ingnition. I was wondering 1) If you have a write up somewhere on how to do this or any experience that would help me and 2) If no one has a write up, if someone knows what pins are doing what with each turn of the key. That way I could just rig up a switch to turn the correct pins on for the run position and then have a button hooked up to the starter.

Sorry if that last part was confusing any help anyone has will be helpful.