Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1996 850R PCV replaced - still have smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 850R PCV replaced - still have smoke

I have done reading about this and want to verify I am covering everything.

I replaced the PCV on my 1996 850R which had lots of crud build up on the lower two block ports. Also, the PTC was clogged and I cleaned the crud out. I put everything back together and I still have smoke coming out the crank. I understand it could be burning off, but this looks like it is blowing out and I removed my dipstick to clean. The engine was oil soaked before and looks dry so far after a 5 mile drive.

Here are my questions:

Does the 96 850R have a EGR that needs to be cleaned below the throttle body?

Is there a flame trap someplace that needs to be cleaned? Is there anything else I missed with the PCV replacement that I should clean before just driving it 1,000 miles and seeing if anything improves?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The '96 R that I looked at did NOT have an EGR. The EGR is attached to the lower part of the intake manifold and you can NOT pull the manifold without taking the EGR tube loose at the bottom.

No it does not have a flame trap. Usually the smoke comes from the tube at the manifold being clogged, the one that goes to the pass side. My system was clogged up pretty good and did NOT smoke so don't let that mess with you to bad. The smoke is a normal symptom, like a runny nose it to a cold for flu. Yes, you can have a runny nose and no cold or flu.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Adding to rspi, EGRs stopped at the end of the 95's. It is not uncommon to have some smoke, maybe at this point you should do a compression test. See if your getting some blowby.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can take as much as 500 miles for everything to clear out. Change the oil. Double check ALL vacuum lines that go with with the flame trap system. The flame trap, or oil trap as it is actually called is under the intake manifold. Its the Black box.

Do a compression check for good measure.

You can also try using an intake cleaner and misting it into the intake tube, BEHIND the MAF with the engine running. Best to use an atomizer.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The PTC valve in the intake manifold just in front of the turbo is cleanable and sometimes takes some scraping and a drill bit (by hand, not powered ) to get the crud out. You just need to be careful you are scraping the hardened crud and not removing the plastic the valve is made of.

The PCV isn't a cleanable part but some have tried, most recommend replacement along with the hoses. If it's been on the engine long enough it needs service the hoses are likely brittle and or clogged and should be done as a "kit".

Did you replace that black box under the intake or just try to flush it out ?? Did you replace the hoses too ??

You can also try an engine cleaner like Seafoam or an engine flush chemical to help remove any of the crud you didn't get. Follow the directions.

If you have fresh oil in there, I'd toss in a can of Seafoam and give it some time to work. That and check all your vacuum hoses to make sure there isn't a leak that should be pulling those vapors into the PTC.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 850R PCV replaced - still have smoke-pcv-breather-system-kit.jpg   1996 850R PCV replaced - still have smoke-seafoam-motor-treatment.jpg   1996 850R PCV replaced - still have smoke-engine-flush-crc.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 AM

pcv kit was purchased from ipd, all volvo oem hoses and box. I cleaned the PTC too. You guys were right about driving it for some miles. My second attempt at heavy acceleration resulted in less smoke in the rear view. Now I don't see any more smoke unless I go pass 4k rpm in which case it feels like a misfire (I have strong boost and then all of a sudden it cuts out, but comes back if I give less gas). I assume new plugs, wires, cap and rotor should fix it - fingers crossed I have Bosch Copper FR7DC I will install tomorrow.

I still have some smoke coming out the dipstick, but don't see much in the rear view

Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

When you said you had smoke out of crank, I didn't know you had smoke out of the tail pipe as well. A clogged PCV system could do some permanant damage to engine seals so thimgs may not totally clear up, especially if you have old and worn valve guide seals.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 AM

...when you first start your Volvo after doing the PCV service you MUST let it idle for about 30 minutes you burn the crud out before driving.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 PM

I did not boost immediately after pcv replacement i had It idle but before I even started it, I changed the oil

Update:
I did a tuneup by replacing spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. The motor no longer misfires or smokes at high rpm! (the smoke i originally saw must have been unburnt fuel) The plugs that were in there were so worn the gap was greater than .032 (my tool didn't go higher). It now runs excellent. I don't have any oil in the intake manifold or inter cooler lines.

Compression numbers seem low but within 10%. 115psi to 125psi dry. Is this cause for concern and if so, why does my motor run so well now? Super smooth idle, excellent power and since I've cleaned it, no oil blowing out the seals anymore. Perhaps my compression tool is not calibrated or I should seafoam? This is an original 850r turbo motor with 160000 miles.

Last edited by zpmada; 06-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 AM

you have the throttle wide open while cranking? that would give you the low numbers. You want around 200.

Its not "boosting" (never heard of such nonsense of reving an engine.) that you are concerned about if you used any solvents or spray cleaners they must burn or evaporate. if they don't, well the engine will stall from too much fuel.

glad its running better.