Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Anyone modify the PCV system with larger hoses? What do you think of this bypass mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone modify the PCV system with larger hoses? What do you think of this bypass mod?

I just thought of an idea to try on a 96 850 Turbo, and I was wondering if there were any problems with it. I want to add a T to #14 in the diagram below (this is the intake manifold connection where the blowby gets sucked back in during idle) so that I can connect it to another T at #8 (this is the blowby output of the lower and upper block vents). So basically, this bypass mod would allow the blowby from the engine to get sucked into the intake manifold through a shorter path, resulting in higher flow. What I don't understand is how the PTC works, so maybe someone could explain its function and purpose. From the post in the link below, it appears to be a heating element.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...24/#post361730

The reason I want to do this mod is because air is still coming out of the dipstick and oil fill opening at idle, and there's oil all over the top of the engine. I've replaced the oil trap and hoses. The PTC is clean. All the oil trap openings on the block are clean. At idle, all the blowby gasses are sucked into the intake manifold through #14 in the diagram right? Wouldn't providing a shorter path through this bypass allow greater flow, reducing or preventing gasses from escaping through the oil fill? Can this bypass cause any problems?

I also want to try using a larger 5/8" hose to replace the large hose in #7 (which connects to #8 and #9). I got that idea from the link below. And I'm going to use a larger hose to replace the small hose as well. I thought about drilling out the small hole in the PTC but I'm worried it would weaken the nipple too much. The bypass mod should make this unnecessary.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...hp?f=1&t=53448

So what do you think about all this? Do you see any potential issues? What do you think about drilling out the hole in the metal nipple on the intake manifold that connects to #14 to increase flow? Could that mess with the idle? Would the increased flow be like having a vacuum leak? What about enlarging the hole at the bottom of the PTC? Has anyone tried this? I'm just trying to think of a way to lower the blowby pressure to a level where it won't cause issues like oil seepage on top and blown seals. Would teeing in a vent to #18 be a potential solution? I could position the output near the intake so that the blowby gasses get sucked back into the engine.

Are there any other things I can try?