Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

can you clean a pcv system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you clean a pcv system?

My car has been driven short distance and not many miles for around 4 years.
I just bought it, and when I pulled the spark plug cover I noticed some oil on top of the motor.
I havent run it to see if smoke comes from the dip stick, but it wouldnt surprize me to find that.

A local shop owner said a clogged PCV system could even cause my cold start issue (have to hold revs for a minute or 2 before it can idle on its own)
That I find hard to believe, but then Im no mechanic.

Ive read threw how to replace the system.

My question is, be there any way to clean it from the inside? Would that seafoam engine cleaner go threw the PCV system?

I know nothing could completely clean up the system from the inside and that it should be replaced, and I hope to do it....but it may be 4-6 months before I can have the $$$ and time to do so.

Thanx.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know of anything that could. The problem is that clogged parts get a carbon like build up in them. I purchased my car in May and drove it until July, about 2,500 miles before I change the severly clogged PCV system. It never blew smoke from the oil dip stick so I usually tell people to just change it unless they can prove that it's been done within 5 years.

You can try to squeeze the tube that goes over the top part of the motor near the oil cap, if it feels soft it's likely newish, if it's hard as a rock, it's likely old. I replaced a system on a '97 850 that had a softer hose going there but other parts were old and cracked so, that may be a bad test as well. LOL

Rumor has it that the very best way to check it is to drive the car until it's warm, then put a rubber glove over the oil filler cap (with the cap removed). If the glove blows up the system is building pressure and bad, if the glove stays deflated or tries to suck in, it's likely good.

The clogged system in my wagon had the RMS leaking (I think that was the cause). Clogged PCV systems can blow out seals, cause excessive oil consumption (forcing oil out), and cause other vacuum issues. I had no cold item issues with my clogged system.

Lower block hole almost completely clogged.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 AM

will it hurt to try sea foam?
On the site it said you can put it in a vaccume or pcv line.
Ive never used sea foam before. I know you have to be carefull not to hydrolock the motor, but other than that...can that stuff damage anything on the volvo?
Even if it cant help the PCV system, it might not hurt to use it where the car has only made very short trips for the past 4 years.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seafoam is basically just a "detergent" for the most part. It's perfectly safe to toss a can into your crankcase and drive it till the next oil change. In your case I'd drop one can in the crankcase and just drive.

I've done a lot of vehicles with Seafoam in the intake and never damaged anything. You have the engine running with your thumb on the throttle. You want a higher RPM when you put the little vacuum hose into the can. The engine will suck the stuff in and at 2,000 rpm you have to think of how little is going into each cylinder, each revolution. You will however fog the neighborhood. It's pretty smokey so don't do it in the garage.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dta2cLXt4m8
This is a lawn mower and they are pouring it in by hand, I usually do too but it gives you an idea of the smoke.

For the first few oil changes I substituted a bottle of transmission fluid for one of the quarts of oil. My engine was a dirty, cruddy mess inside from lack of maintenance and right after the first LOF it turned black in the first month. Now I can do a change and it slowly turns dark over time through it's 5K life in my engine. Transmission fluid is basically a 10W oil but it is much higher in detergents than engine oil. It slowly cleans the engine internals.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM

OK, thanx.

Ill run some threw after I attempt to fix the broken flex pipe.
I called a volvo shop and was told $700 to replace the manifold/flex pipe!
Thats alot of money to put into a car you paid $800 for. Plus, I dont have $700
But on the used manifold on which I broke the flex pipe clean off the manifold I see that the mani side has a 1.5 inch exit that I should be able to put a generic flex pipe from VIP onto. It will just be a matter of cutting the otherside before the O2 sensor at the most "round" point and hoping the other end of the generic flex pipe can seal to it. I dont have a welder and there are not any shops around here that I know of that would do that kinda job for me.
But a generic flex pipe is $40, plus $10 in clamps. So if I can get it to work and last at least 1 year it will be well worth it!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nitrosport, you should go into your "UserCP" and add your location. That way it pops up in your posts. Never know, might have an unknown Volvo "buddy" close by who just happens to have a welder Doesn't hurt.

But I know the feeling. I'm getting ready to purchase new connecting rods and the set will be five bucks less than what I paid for the car. The exhaust was a hundred more and the front Bilstein's on sale were about fifty over.
My three hundred dollar beater is getting expensive.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM

yep
worst part is the car is nice enough to put $1500 into it and still end up with a car worth exactly what Id have into it.
I just dont have the $1500...LOL.

Will be attempting the exhaust repair tomorrow. wish me luck!

Ill try and add location to my post info.

Thanx.