Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Engine Mount Saga ... Help!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mount Saga ... Help!! lol

I'm doing some R&R on my wife's Non-Turbo 1997 Volvo 850. The project this weekend is fixing all the engine mounts.

I changed the upper torque mount (PITA!! lol) and the mount in the passenger wheel well un-eventfully once I finally got the new upper torque mount pressed into the arm.

Here's my problem that's driving me nuts. I jacked up the engine and changed the front hydraulic mount and lightly tightened the bolts. So far everything seems fine so I moved onto the rear mount and had a little more trouble with clearance. I jacked up the engine about 1/8th of an inch too high and heard a pop. I got the rear mount changed out and everything put back in place, glad to be finished, and decided to go for a quick test drive.

I started the car and tried to put it in gear and it was hard to move it from Park to Reverse. I freaked out that I screwed something up, so I pulled the airbox and the battery then realized that the PNP switch was slightly high and rubbing on the bottom of the battery tray and that the gear selector would move easily back and forth with that out. Now that I'm looking at it, the motor seems to be higher on the drivers side than the passenger side. And actually that would make sense why the PNP switch is rubbing and giving me some issues.

I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow afternoon and see if anything jumps out at me when I'm fresh and not frustrated with it.

Has anybody had any problems like this??? It's like the the mounts are too large and raising the engine too much. They are URO mounts from FCP Groton.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure the pins on the top of the mounts went where they should be.
Also make sure you did not pop the inner C/V joint out of the cup at the transmission.
Easiest way to check is jack the entire front end up and try to rotate the wheels by hand. Usually if the inner joint pops out when you rotate the wheel it will pop back in.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHhhh, That's it!! Thanks Tech!!! I was going nuts because I couldn't find anything out of place with the mounts.

I jacked it back up and started turning the drivers wheel and the engine would slowly rise up and down. After a couple rotations there was a loud pop and everything settle back into place. Thanks your a life saver!! I owe you a pack of beer next time your in SC!

Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad that was all it was.