Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

A few propblems, and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few propblems, and need some advice

Today my brother came over to check out my 94 850 for the first time. MIKEY LIKES IT! except he noticed a few problems. First of all my brother is a tall/big guy 6'4 about 280 lbs when he got into my car it made a squeaking sound coming from the front end almost like a old rusty door opening or closing, so I am guessing that is the shocks. I only heard the noise when he got in, out and when we road over bumps. I noticed while he was looking under the hood with the car started it was leaking a few drops of oil, nothing major yet. Now, my car is all rigged up for super speed or something because it has this HUGE muffler and one of those air intake things that I keep seeing flash at the top of the forum. I don't care for the extra speed nor the race car sound. How much will Volvo charge me to get my car sounding normal again and take all of that extra junk out? Keep in mind that I JUST got my car a few days ago but my brother feels that I should sell it, but I like my car a lot and think that I can get it to my 100% liking. What do you all think, should I keep it?

*Shocks
*Oil leak
*Take out/off air intake and after market muffler

Here is the link to some photos of my car http://ameritenant.com/VOLVO.html

Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A few propblems, and need some advice

I still say have a Volvo mechanic look at it and see what he has to say. All the stuff that's been done to it would scare me a little too, but it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Somebody actually put some money into making it look like it does. I don't like the grill, the hood or the muffler. Other than that it looks ok. Why does your brother think you should sell it?

Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I still say have a Volvo mechanic look at it and see what he has to say. All the stuff that's been done to it would scare me a little too, but it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Somebody actually put some money into making it look like it does. I don't like the grill, the hood or the muffler. Other than that it looks ok. Why does your brother think you should sell it?
Hi Jim, he does not like the muffler, hood or grill either LOL. He took off the grill but the other stuff was a bit stuck on there.. The hood I can deal with because it looks ok when you look at it from the side but the muffler thing has to go.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The squeak you're hearing could be any number of things from a simple bushing to a whole suspension tear down (I say this from experience).

Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 AM

I'd be interested in the intake. i would do a swap for the original

Old 07-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Car looks pretty good.

I agree with info2x it could be many things.

Sell the old parts you take off.They will go fast.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 AM

The air intake looks like it is an aftermarket item to enable you to use a K&N filter. Yes, that will create a lot of noise. I would go ahead and swap back to original air filter setup.

The faux hood scoops may be easier to remove than you think. If they are simply glued on, then go to a local reputable collision repair shop. They have heat guns designed to remove decals and badges. I bet that they would be able to easily remove them.

Concerning the exhaust, I would not go back to original setup. First of all, the original exhaust is too restrictive. I would find an exhaust shop that would make a completely new 2 1/2 inch diameter exhaust with Catco or Dynomax Free-Flow Cat and Dynomax Muffler. This is the best sounding combination that I've heard -- not too loud, yet just a little deep rumble to let people know that you are there.

But you are not me. I bet that the source of your problem is your muffler. Find a local reputable exhaust shop that will order a muffler from Dynomax for you. Have them determine the diameter of your exhaust and swap on a new Dynomax muffler. Reply back if you would like more options regarding mufflers. I have a list of manufacturers who make nice sounding mufflers for turbo engines. Flowmaster Mufflers do not sound good with Turbo engines.