Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Finding a coolant resevoir for a '94 Volvo 850 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a coolant resevoir for a '94 Volvo 850 Sedan

I've had an ongoing leak in my coolant reservoir for while. It's been slow, so I thought nothing of it - I just topped off the coolant once a month or whenever it was creeping close to the 'min' level.

Well, yesterday while driving I noticed a sweet smell, along with the smell of burning plastic. Apparently the aged, yellowing plastic reservoir which holds my coolant developed a few small cracks from which coolant was either fizzing through, or (in the case of one crack), literally streaming from. Obviously it only does this when it's hot. I was out of town and miles from my mechanic, so I taped up the cracks and hoped for the best. There are no overheating problems. Unless my thermostat is broken, the engine temperature is normal. I see no other problems with the radiator, it just seems like my reservoir is cracking. The tape stemmed the flow a bit, but I need a new container. Duct tape can only solve so many problems.

So I was wondering if anyone here knew of a decently priced place to buy a new one from, and could maybe provide some instructions on how to install a new one? I would rather not have to go to a Volvo dealership for this.

Also, is the only opening to the radiator on this model on the coolant reservoir? I searched for it and I even looked at a diagram in the owner's manual for a radiator cap to check on the levels in my radiator and I couldn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

The tank is a piece of cake to replace. Two hoses, one sensor and nothing else, it clips on.
The only other opening is the drain located at the lower drivers side of the radiator. There is a hole in the under carriage cover, thats where it is.

Here is the part:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...Expansion+Tank

I have a couple used ones if your interested, PM me.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The radiator has no separate cap- the expansion tank is pressurized.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/850/...tem-parts.html

but all things being equal, support the hand that feeds.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM

I just ordered a new expansion tank ('95 850 non-turbo) and the lower expansion tank hose. I found a crack in the tank itself and thought I would replace the hose at the same time. The other hose to the tank seems in good shape.

Is there anything specific I need to know for the swap?

Draining the tank?
O-ring replacement?
Should I change the other hose while I am at it?
Do I need to do anything with the sensor?

It seems pretty simple. Sorry if these are dumb questions. I have done a bit of work on cars but am relatively new to it.