Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Stalling after fill up only.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stalling after fill up only.

New Guy here, Hi All!
94 Volvo 850 Sed, about 150K. No PVC job (yet), Flame arrester replaced and all new plugs, wires, cap etc. all Volvo parts, no junk!

I appoligize if this is a repete question, I have been searching so many forums for days w/o finding a definative answer (if there is one) so here it goes. This car was my girlfriends sons car driven for about 3 years. He's off to college and I have it now after it sat idle covered in wet leaves for the last 10 months which rusted the breaks and rotors etc all to heck. I have been "restoring" it for a couple of weeks and at present it runs like a sewing machine...really fine! At first start up after sitting a ton of oil out the filler cap and chugging along with lots of red lights on the dash. Cleaning the flame trap and reading all the OBD codes got them all off and at present there is 1-1-1 on them all except the SRS light but that will have to wait.

So far a total of 3 fill ups, one to the very top and the last two to the pump click off only. Fill up #1 and #2 resulted in a start and immideate stall. Many brief attempts later with the last few resulting in a spudder start and it finally fired up as if nothing ever happened and ran perfectly for the entire tank fulls. No matter whether it was flat or on my steep drive, cold or hot it just ran and ran.

Fill up #3 (last Tuesday morning) was a different story. I left it running during the fill up and thought I had it beat. Drove from the pump and 200 feet later kaput. About 3 to 5 minutes of attempts got her going and I figured that would be it. This time it happened 3 more times on the way to work on the Interstate going 75 MPH. Suddenly a loss of power, no response from the gas peddle and finally a total flame out. 3 more minutes of starting attempts on the side of the road and away we go. Same thing two more times going to work.

Then on the way home about half way (total trip is 25 miles each way) another flame out and 3 minute restart situation. So after about a total of 40 miles after this last fill up it has not done it again. My fuel gage reads about 8 gals left at the moment and I intend to run it down somewhere below the 6 line and then put 1/2 tank in at the corner and stay mighty close to home.

Been reading tons of stuff and plan to do the PCV job and replace the Carbon canister and check all the lines but need a little more experimenting with these fill ups before I start spending $$$ to no avail like so many I have read about.

Any new ideas from you folks? I do appreciate finding this site and can see that you all seem very helpful and interested in a challange...me too!
Thanks in advance!!!