Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Intermittent A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent A/C

Hey all, my A/C on my 2000 c70 is acting kinda funny, although I think I know what the problem is... It only blows really cold when the car is moving down the road, otherwise it blows just barely below room temp. so I'm guessing that the condenser may need flushing? I feel like it's probably not low on freon since the car will blow ice cold when it's moving fast enough, especially on a cooler day, but I want it to blow that way all the time lol, and I'm sure it's capable of doing so. Had the car for 5 years now and haven't messed with the A/C system at all during that time, so I was wondering if this is a common problem or what. Anyone else dealing with this? Oh yeah, car has 114k miles. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 PM

My guess is that the magnetic clutch is only sometimes engaging. The parts wear over time and the space between them (and add some heat) and the magnetic clutch doesn't work all the time. A way to test this is the broomstick test. Start the car and get it in the condition where it isn't blowing cold air. push the clutch with a broom stick and if it engages and starts working you have found your issue. People have added shims behind the arms so it will still engage but I just replaced the compressor.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:53 PM

I suppose my thread title was a little misleading, I know the clutch is engaged because it never blows hot air, it's just not cold like it should be, and only during the hot parts of the day. At night it blows ice cold and when the car is moving fast enough it gets cold as well. That's why I think probably the condenser should be flushed out, like its not transferring enough heat during the hot parts of the day, or something like that, or possibly the condenser fan isn't working like it should be?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Low freon could also cause this issue.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Cool, I'll check that and let you know how it goes, and thanks for the reply!