Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Low beam failure both side xenon headlight 2011 C70

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beam failure both side xenon headlight 2011 C70

Hi! Owned my 2011 C70 since Summer 2014. It’s currently out of warranty. About a month ago, passenger side headlight went, driver side was okay, so I thought it was a bulb problem. Ordered a pair of 6000K aftermarket D3S bulbs, replaced both side, issue fixed. After a week, passenger side went again, then 2 days later, driver side went. Thought it was the cheap bulbs I bought so went ahead and ordered genuine bulbs, installed, but neither side light up. What could be wrong? Appreciated if someone can guide me through this. Thanks in advance!

P.S: Had a few problems over the years (roof leak, battery drain (XM Radio), steer shifts when breaking in highways, coolant leak, rear passenger side window rattles when lowered, mysterious front or rear suspension squeeze noise, etc) but all fixed. Ask me anything!

Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

are you getting voltage to the socket? did you check resistance to ground? what happens when you flash the highbeams etc?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
are you getting voltage to the socket? did you check resistance to ground? what happens when you flash the highbeams etc?
Thanks for the reply! All other bulbs in the headlight assembly are functioning, ambient light, turn signal, and high beam so socket is functioning. How to check resistance to ground?

Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention HID Xenons have a ballast so its problaby not a good idea to test at the socket with your multimeter other than to check for ground as the voltage from the ballast may exceed what your meter can handle. There's three components to test out - the relay, the ballast and the bulb. Assuming you have good new bulbs, then the thing to do is to test the ballast. First is to connect to a new bulb on one side. Then If you have a 12V power source (like a drill battery etc or a spare car battery), you can remove the power connector to the ballast then jumper in the drill battery to see if it lights up. if it lights up, you may need to then check the relay to see if you are getting power to the connector for the ballast (not the bulb). The owners manual can tell you which relay controls the HIDs - not sure if its a stand alone relay or part of the CEM for your model.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:37 PM

I forgot to mention HID Xenons have a ballast so its problaby not a good idea to test at the socket with your multimeter other than to check for ground as the voltage from the ballast may exceed what your meter can handle. There's three components to test out - the relay, the ballast and the bulb. Assuming you have good new bulbs, then the thing to do is to test the ballast. First is to connect to a new bulb on one side. Then If you have a 12V power source (like a drill battery etc or a spare car battery), you can remove the power connector to the ballast then jumper in the drill battery to see if it lights up. if it lights up, you may need to then check the relay to see if you are getting power to the connector for the ballast (not the bulb). The owners manual can tell you which relay controls the HIDs - not sure if its a stand alone relay or part of the CEM for your model.

Okay thanks. Will try this in a few days. Will get back with a result.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Checked all relays, they look good. Possible to explain further on how to jumper the ballast? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 PM

hi again! I replaced ballast on both side, and they worked! But the right side died after 2 hours? Something else wrong?

Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

hopefully you didn't throw out the old ballast. I'd try dropping in the old and if it works then you know you have a wiring/connection issue - you can also try testing the ballast on a bench - see youtube for vids