Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winter Mode won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Mode won't engage

i have a '01 s60 and trying to drive it in the recent snow storm, i found the "W" button, when pushed, wouldn't put the car into Winter mode as it has done so many times before. The car was in drive, and i tried it both stopped and moving (under 25mph). I'm not sure of the relevance but the message "SRS Airbag Urgent Service" is up, but came up after i found winter mode to be malfunctioning.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM

1) NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE WINTER MODE - it will DESTROY your transmission.
2) the airbag light shouldnt have anything to do with winter mode not working, but that light can indicate other electrical faults. Did you recently remove the radio?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bender
1) NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE WINTER MODE - it will DESTROY your transmission.
2) the airbag light shouldnt have anything to do with winter mode not working, but that light can indicate other electrical faults. Did you recently remove the radio?
Winter mode (or as I call it, Wumbo mode) shouldn't hurt as long as you use it minimally. I only use it from dead stops if I'm in a real slippery spot.

(Sorry for jumping in)

Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 AM

To angrypenguin1130,

Is the indicator lights at the gear shifter panel (at the gear lever) works under normal condition?
My winter mode switch does not engage too with no gear shifter light indicators present. (below the gear lever not at the dashpot). In my case the message `GEAR SELECTOR REDUCED FUNCTION ' appeared. After scan the code `missing signal - gear selector module'. appeared at the scan tool. Till now did not repair cos transmission behaves normal except winter mode and light at gear shifter not working.

Anybody got any glue what is the gear selector module is ? could it be the PNP inhibitor switch on top of gear box or the electronic circuit board that is found underneath the gear shifter panel that housed the gear position lights.

TQ.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by imhereftw
Winter mode (or as I call it, Wumbo mode) shouldn't hurt as long as you use it minimally. I only use it from dead stops if I'm in a real slippery spot.

(Sorry for jumping in)
If I had an auto, I (personally) wouldnt even use it then. Think about this: Would you ever start a manual transmission car in second or third gear? Think about how much slipping of the clutch would occur... thats how much strain you are putting on your transmission.

Get snow tires. If the roads are that bad that you are slipping with snow tires, stay home.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, on slick ice and very (very) light throttle, starting in 2nd or 3rd isn't a problem. It prevents some wheel spin and therefore isn't as hard on the drivetrain as spinning in 1st gear. But, this is LIMITED application -- there is no reason to use W mode or start manual in 2nd or 3rd unless 1st creates locked up wheel spinning. Sort of like the reverse situation of using a creeper first gear on a heavy truck. Many Mercedes Benz cars regularly start in 2nd gear, btw, unless you floor the accelerator. Or at least they did in the 1980's and 1990's when I was more familiar with those cars.