Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

ignition switch question / VADIS issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ignition switch question / VADIS issue

I have determined that the reason my ABS controller problem was a bit different than other posters' was that it was OK all along. I now blame a worn ignition switch. I recently got a VADIS program but am having some difficulty in locating a diagram of the switch. I assume (always dangerous) that the return spring is shot, but rather than attempt repair thought I'd just replce the switch. Even found some over at IPD but don't know if the spring is located in the portion of the switch that they sell or I need to visit my friendly dealer (Vlad the Volvo Parts Man always makes me nervous however, I think it's when he says "let me see how much that issss".).

Any body know about these parts?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering two things 1. would a faulty switch be causing difficulty in key removal and button in shifter being sticky 2. if yes, will the part you listed for the 1998 S70 Turbo also work in the non turbo model which is what I own? I am a novice Volvo owner but love these cars and really want to do it right. Thanks CK S70 98

Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Administrator

No yours sounds like either bad shifter **** of the shiftlock over ride button is stuck down some.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 AM

Thanks Tech

Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Shifter and Bad Ignition?

Originally Posted by tech
No yours sounds like either bad shifter **** of the shiftlock over ride button is stuck down some.
When the key first got stuck a day or so after I bought the car, I was told to wiggle the shift to get the key out. That suggestion didn't really work. I tried the shift override button while wiggling the shift and the shift over ride button seemed to move freely when pressed and released and doesn't seem to be faulty or stuck at all. The shifter button, however, gets stuck inside the shift almost all the time and is hard to get to release. I understand now, that the key can not be removed if that button in the shifter **** is still stuck inside the shift. What I don't understand is why the key was spinning in the ignition so I couldn't start the car. The previous owner has told me that it's the mechanical part of the ignition system. Should I be looking to replace the shifter **** as well as the ignition? The other issue that presented after the key was stuck was that the key stopped catching when trying to start the car. The key was just spun in the ignition a complete 360 without catching on anything. After turning the key backwards a couple of times and then forward I was able to get the car to start. So, is this two separate issues going on here. Any knowledge with trouble shooting either of these problems would be appreciated. Have obtained a new key and the mechanical part of the ignition as I don't think its the electrical component of the ignition. Need to know if you think there may be another issue that should be addressed along with the ignition switch. I would like to understand, how the two problems are connected if that is the case.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Yes you have 2 issues. The mechanical part of the ignition switch is bad causing the key to keep spinning and not start the car.(Common issue)
Here is why the 2 are kind of related. There is a cable from the ignition switch to the shifter assembly. The way the shift lock setup is the shifter has to see the ignition moved to allow the shifter to come out of park. When you turn the ignition it pulls a part in the shifter assembly through the cable to allow you to pull it out of park with your foot on the brake. If the shifter **** button sticks and will not release it will not touch and move the part attached to the cable and move it to allow the key to come out.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM

I think Tech has covered the "key" side pretty well - but you don't need to replace the whole shifter **** - just the button.
Try this one;
Shifter **** Repair Kit