Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

This is the last straw, Im setting this car on fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is the last straw, Im setting this car on fire

My starter solonoid was going out on my 98, so I went to the parts house to get a reman starter(b/c I dont give two ***** about original parts on this car). I removed the old starter and put in the new one. I DID NOT put the bracket back on the attaches to the block b/c the dang nuts didnt fit on the new one from the original.

Ive got nothing when I turn the key. Is it b/c of the bracket...maybe it grounds the starter itself with it??

I hate this car with a passion. Bought it 2.5 years ago for $4300 cash, and have put another $4k in it. IM DONE spending money on this car. Burns oil like its going out of style, most likey through a valve, so Im trying to limit what I spend on the car. Eventually the oil will cake up my O2's and cat. When that happens, first $500 takes it. Im thinking $1000 would convice me to get rid of this car now.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Where are you located? Is it a base model, GLT, T5???

Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Im in Houston. The car is a base model non turbo. It doesnt say anything but Volvo S70 on the trunk lid.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Ok, figured out where I went wrong with the starter. The reman starter has two different terminals on it for the lead wire (or maybe its just a green wire), and I had it on the wrong terminal.

It starts.

BUT, now my friggin battery light is on, and it looks like a bitch to get the alternator out to have it tested.

I dont have a test light or anything else to try and test it in the car.

The dominoes are falling and I cant stop it!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you end up burnin it, be sure to put it on utube and send us a link...

Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As a person w/ 2 Volvos I feel comfortable saying that some people are not cut out to be Volvo owners. Nothing wrong with that of course.

I like the you tube idea! but you'll lose any shot at selling it and will have to pay to have the burned out hulk towed off.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Yes I agree. I have two Volvos now and they do take some time to repair with plenty of TLC. I'm the only one driving them so it does not bother me that much but makes my wife and kids nuts when it comes time to repair them. Parts are a bit expensive and it seems like they need constant attention to keep them going. You have to do your own work on these cars after the 100K mark.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Volvos do have their strong points - basic car is very durable (engine/transmission), they are the safest cars on the road, decent performance and mileage, fairly luxurious, only sedan made that can be used to tow a small boat... but yes, I certainly wouldn't call them "trouble-free", and parts are expensive.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
If you end up burnin it, be sure to put it on utube and send us a link...
I'd like to see that - maybe a propane tank in the trunk and another in the passenger compartment, then a full tank of gasoline plus another 5 gallons of gasoline splashed throughout... drag a trail of gasoline along ground from car to 50 yards away where you can light it like a fuse and videotape the festivities. Could be therapeutic to watch for anyone with a rocky relationship with their Volvo.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:58 PM

good call, flames would be nice, be sure to bring weenies a some marshmellos, for your going to get hungry cause its gonna burn for a day or so!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Man, I know exactly how you feel. I've probably put about 6 grand into my 2000 S70 since I bought it in 2004, and I even did 85% of the work myself. I bought it for $10k with 93k miles on it. Even though I've put a lot of money into it, and it's annoying me to bits that things keep going wrong, I just can't seem to get rid of it. It's a weird love/hate relationship I have with my S70...

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM

When a car reaches a certain age, any car would start to break down and need parts. My advise is to get top quality parts with the longest warranty. When you put so much money into a car, it's better to just keep it running until you can get a new one, then keep this as a spare. However, it's a good thing for the buyer, and bad for seller. The new owner has a lot less to worry about because the car has new parts, and the seller will spent more money then it's worth and get fustraded and sell it for peanuts. These things happened in our family. Volvo's are great cars, and they will keep on going as long as you keep them in top shape.

- regular oil changes
- replacing filters on time
- using premium fuel

Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 AM

I sold the car for $1000 to my father in law who has a 98 S90. He's always loved Volvos. He took it in and got the oil trap replaced and replaced the alternator with a OEM. That was another $800. Maybe Im not "fit" to own a Volvo b/c my pockets arent deep enough, especially for a car thats only driven 3k miles a year the past year. I think its fair to say once any vehicle gets to a certain point they require the replacement of expensive parts, but the Volvo just costs more.

It was never a comfortable car to drive (too bumpy...maybe b.c its considered a sports sedan?), got maybe 17-18 mpg, and plagued by lack of power. The only thing I liked about it was the way it looks and that the a/c threw ice cubes.

Since this was my first Volvo, and I had what I consider a bad experience with it, I will not buy another unless its much newer.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TintJunkie
I sold the car for $1000 to my father in law who has a 98 S90. He's always loved Volvos. He took it in and got the oil trap replaced and replaced the alternator with a OEM. That was another $800. Maybe Im not "fit" to own a Volvo b/c my pockets arent deep enough, especially for a car thats only driven 3k miles a year the past year. I think its fair to say once any vehicle gets to a certain point they require the replacement of expensive parts, but the Volvo just costs more.

It was never a comfortable car to drive (too bumpy...maybe b.c its considered a sports sedan?), got maybe 17-18 mpg, and plagued by lack of power. The only thing I liked about it was the way it looks and that the a/c threw ice cubes.

Since this was my first Volvo, and I had what I consider a bad experience with it, I will not buy another unless its much newer.

A well used Swedish or German car is not the car to get if money is tight. Service and parts are both expensive, and they tend to need a lot of work - they're all like that. So what can look like a bargain at first, often is no bargain over time. Of course they have their advantages, so if you have some money or are a good amateur mechanic, can be an interesting and rewarding choice.

If you want to avoid hassle and expense, I'd suggest: Honda, Toyota, Subaru or Ford (Ford w/in last 5 years). Get a web subscription to Consumer Reports and study their repair history charts - the story is all there. It's a lot cheaper than getting a car fixed.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 PM

I had a 94 firebird formula(350 corvette engine etc) was a hoot to drive, but needed constant maintiance, not to engine or trans, just everything else, head lite doors, door hinges, paint, fuel pump etc, so I am use to a car like a volvo.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My maintenance receipts sum up to $3K since I got my 99 S70 T5 three months ago. I did half of the job. I can't help spending money to restore this car. That has been a part of the fun to own a Volvo. I had no hobby to spend money on before. But I guess it wouldn't last long this way. Beside, I started feel pressure around my neck from my wife. I just want to know what it would be like to drive a new S70 T5.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TintJunkie

Your former S70 thanks you for selling him; he could tell you weren't interested in taking care of him (reference post #1 in this thread).

My S70 rides like a dream and gets 25+ mpg. I could replace the pcv and rebuild the alt for less than $200.

If you're not into DIY, these cars can suck you dry, but that's true of any car that's over 10 yrs old. If you're willing to maintain them, these are very nice cars that are relatively easy to work on. Why do you think everyone else is hanging out here?

BTW: I would not purchase any volvo newer than '98; the newer models are much more problematic IMO.

Good luck w/your next ride...