Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Extended Warranty From Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty From Dealer

Hello All,

I just bought a brand new 2009 S80. The dealer best offer for their "premium" extended warranty for 6 year/100,000 miles is $2500 with no deductible. It basically covers everything except for wear and tear and a few other items. They will not go down on the price and I have called around to other Volvo dealerships and that's the best price I've gotten so far.

From your experience, is it worth it to get the extended warranty?. Should I consider a 3rd party company for the extended warranty?. First time owner of a Volvo so any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM

kind of hard to say without reading the policy. i can tell you from working in the business that not all warranties are alike, and you really want to read the fine print before signing. be aware of things like engine gaskets not being covered, or certain electronics not being covered. if it is a match to the factory bumper to bumper new car warranty, then $2500 isn't bad. just ask the dealer what an automatic transmission costs for that car, or a new ecu, or a seat, faulty wheel sensors, gas tank, radio/nav system, fuel pump etc.

make sure you have a copy of the policy and cancelation and prorated refund info at the time of purchase. otherwise, you'll have hell trying to get your refund, if you sell the car before the end of the warranty.

car problems are much more expensive than just 5-10 yrs ago, so expect any repair to be in the $1000 range and up.

personally, i've begun buying 5 yr old luxury cars with 40k miles and drive them for 30k miles, then sell. very low maintenance cost and depreciation during that time.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Is the warranty thru VOLVO North America? If it is, then you got your self a GREAT DEAL! I think on those S80's its not a bad deal since they have more electronic systems, etc.... Someone on here about 6 months ago also asked the same thing and decided to get it on their XC90 I belive. About 2 months after posting, the transmission went and it was super expensive. He was glad to have the warranty! The newer Volvos with the new systems seem to be far more finicky with the electronics,etc... as opposed to something like my 97 850. If I had to buy a new one, I would also get the same warranty! And I know, I also used to work in the car business for6 years...... Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM

i just got an email today from my local delearship in mass that they extended the factory warranties to 5 years/60k and 4years/50k on maintainence. So make sure that your delearship isnt running the same promotion

Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Drop the $2,500 into a Money Market or better yet Bond Portfolio and you'll be better off.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Yes, the warranty is through Volvo of America. It's basically an extension of their 4 year/50K miles manufacture warranty. I'm basically paying $2500 to cover myself during the 50K-100K miles period. I belive this is the time when major issues occur. I think just for my peace of mind, $2500 is not out of the question. I just have not seen anything better than what the dealer can offer. I'm a little weary of some of the warranties offered online. Their "not covered" list is much more extension than the dealer's.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 AM

I also got an email, but thru Volvo North America on the Warranty Extension on new cars, so you might want to call someone and find out abou that also.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Correction, the extended warranty that I spoke of is actually from another company called Eecu-Care. Below is the exact verbage of what is "NOT" covered
  1. Correction of air and water leaks, wind noise, squeaks and rattles
  2. Lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs and glass
  3. Weather strips, windshield wiper blades, convertibles and vinyle tops, upholstery, carpet, paint, moldings, hard and soft trim
  4. Tires, belts, hoses, body hinges, bright metal, bumper and body parts
  5. Contaminated fuel sytems, exhaust system, and catalytic converter
  6. Brake drums and rotors, shock absorbers, battery and battery cables, carburetor and throttle body excluding injectors.
What do you guys think about this extended warranty. Any good for $2400.

On #4 regarding "belts", does this include timing belts?. If my timing belt goes, then it's not covered. Is it common for "belts" to not be covered?.

Please advise

Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 AM

my extended warranty through wheelz covers timing belt brake. My extended warranty is very difficult to deal with, but I have managed them to cover about double what I paid for the contract so far, possibly more. I would say if it isnt a Volvo Factory extended warranty then I wouldnt go for it

Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by gordon368
I would say if it isnt a Volvo Factory extended warranty then I wouldnt go for it
+1..I would ask the Stealer about the "Volvo"warranty! I'm sure the insurance policy thru an outside agency is good, but might be more of a hassle when it's time to use it. I have heard from other members on here that the warranty that Volvo has, essentially you drop off the vehicle, the service writer makes an R.O (ticket) and when the work is performed you just sign. The Stealer takes care of everything since it is Volvo. Whereas if it's an outside company insures it, the advisor might have to make a few phone calls, possibly wait for an OK,etc............When I worked for a dealer I always vouched for the manufacturers extended warranty instead of an "outside source" because of the ease it is for the client! Good Luck on your search...