V50 instrument cluster removal - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo V50
Reload this Page >

V50 instrument cluster removal

Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

V50 instrument cluster removal

Old 06-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Default V50 instrument cluster removal

There are many things across the Internet about removing instrument clusters for other Volvos, however for the V50 there appears to be nothing, therefore I am starting this thread. Unlike other models for our V50 there are at least two sets of wires connected to or strapped to the instrument cluster external housing, and I am reluctant to try to remove these for fear of breaking them, and not knowing which tools to make things simpler and prevent said breakage. On the lower right in the photo you can see a wire bundle with yellow and orange wires and done on the upper right-hand side you can see another set of wires which run across the top of the housing. Unlike for other models there are only two screws that secure the instrument cluster to the car then there are two that further secure the trim. So I am stuck on the two clusters of wires that are strapped or connected to the instrument panel housing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-05-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 12-09-2018, 07:28 AM

AFAIK,
Remove the two screws (one on the left the other on the right)
lean cluster forward and remove green plug on the top
maneuver cluster so to get the left side out as far as you can (the wire on bottom plug is very short and will not allow cluster to come all the way out)
with left side out, lean cluster to the right and with your left hand unclip/unplug the white plug-- (push in on release tab while pushing down on plug or wires) -- you will not be able to see what your doing.
Alternately, remote the lower panel (above brake and acc pedal) and cut the wire tie for that harness --- this will free up a few more inches of wire to allow better access to plug.