Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

replacing spring seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing spring seats

I am going to be replacing my front spring seats in the next couple of weeks. My question is, should I go ahead and replace the strut mount while I have everything apart or would that just be a wasting money.

thanks Jason

Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Default RE: replacing spring seats

BTW the strut mounts look ok, no rust or visible cracks.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thats up to you I very rarely have to replace the strut mount. But sometimes the bearing does go bad but rarely.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had one of my seat's replaced on my 01. Advanced Auto sells them for around $30 and they seem good quality. They call it a "Bearing Plate" in the store in their system but the site calls it a "Strut Spring Seat"

Also, IPD sells some thicker, stronger ones I noticed on their site.

Here is a link to the one at AA:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...93&PTSet=A

Just a FYI in case you want to save some money.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Default jumping in on spring seat replacements

can someone point me to instructions for a non-mechanic on how to to this?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 PM

I think the IPD ones are just XC90 seats. Not for sure, but I have a pretty good idea. The XC90 seats are a little heavier.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d myers
can someone point me to instructions for a non-mechanic on how to to this?
No. If you never done this and are unsure, you may be injured or killed trying this job without experience.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
No. If you never done this and are unsure, you may be injured or killed trying this job without experience.
Well said....

It can be dangerous if you never done it before. You need some spring compressors and some other tools, but other than that....you just undo everything and install in the reverse order.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Default life savers

Thanks for the life-saving advice. What is a reasonable estimate from a non-dealer shop in NYC?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Don't know the price but I can tell you this:

They're right about being injured or killed if you do this wrong, but don't let that scare you too much if you know your way around a set of wrenches and have some common sense.

The dangerous part is removing the spring. Local shops like Advanced Auto and O' Reilly's usually "rent" out spring compressors for free. You need to compress the spring to remove it from the suspension, otherwise it can fly out and cause injury. It is impossible to reassemble the suspension without a spring compressor. Stop in and check out the tool and ask them to explain how it works. If you feel comfortable with using it then go for it. If you decide to do this yourself I just have a few pointers as well that will help you out:

1.) Check the threads on the compressor before you take it home. Make sure all sides thread easily and smoothly and that it is complete. They are supposed to do this at the store but YOU are the one using it so just check to be certain.

2.) Install the spring compressor BEFORE removing anything except the wheel. Do not tighten one side all at once, do 5 or so turns on one bolt, then move onto the next one. If you do one side all at once, you could release the spring.

3.) Use some 3in1 oil, or even motor oil on the spring compressor as you tighten it. A drop or two will do, as you thread the compressor you will realize why I suggest this. It will also minimize wear on the compressor.

4.) Once the spring is compressed make certain the all tension on the upper and lower mounts is gone and the spring is compressed enough to be safely removed.

5.) Once you are certain the tension is relieved, go ahead and disassemble the suspension and remove the spring. Note the orientation of the spring by examining the seats. You'll see where the end of the coil belongs, when you reassemble make sure it is seated properly.

6.) Once you have replaced the spring seats, reinstall the spring and reassemble the suspension. Once everything is together, and checked over TWICE then simply remove the spring compressor the same way you installed it.

The rest of you feel free to add anything you feel worth noting.