Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new brakes

It's time for new brakes, couple of questions.
1st, what is a good internet company to buy parts from or do you use local part stores, Advanced Auto,Pep Boys, ABC Auto etc.
2nd question, I've done brake jobs on all my American made cars and the wife's BMW for ever. Is there something out of the ordinary about replacement that i need to know.
3rd, of the warning lights that have come up. Brake assist service required, low tire pressure,ABS/ANTI-SKID service Required, Tire Press Syst. Service Required, anything I need to know and do I need to replace any sensors.
I've gotten a basic quote of about $450 to replace pads and turn rotors plus sensors, is this a fair price.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

where are you located? there are several online stores that are Volvo friendly and offer quality parts at a fair price. Check out FCP Euro, EEuroparts, AZ Autohaus and IPD USA for starters (I've used all).

As to replacing pads, fronts should be business as usual. For rears models differ - some may require a brake recess tool or a counter clockwise turn to push in the caliper (like my S40) others simply have pins. Very few shops turn rotors any more. For the cost of machine work you can buy replacement OEM quality rotors (ie Zimmerman, Bosch or Brembo) and get full thickness.

For the warning lights, you really need to get the codes scanned to know what you are dealing with. For tire pressure - if you car has metal valve stems, you probably need to service the stem/sending unit in which ever wheel is reporting in. If you have rubber valve stems and also show ABS errors, then the problem may be the wheel speed sensor or some grease on the inside of the wheel is messing with the ABS computer signal. Check codes, look for torn CV joint boots, try cleaning the sensor and inside of the hub.

Finally, $450 is a fair price for pads/rotos and sensors

Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM

To end this question, bought brake pads and rotors front and rear a little while back from O'Reilly Auto $350 with a $25 rebate card for each set, so $300 once I get the cards and use them at O'Reilly for whatever. 3 things I learned, #1, there are 3 different rotor sizes for the front, don't just eye ball them as 2 are very close in size, I'm sure I could of recorded the vin and called the dealership for conformation but I pulled out my micro meter and did it myself, more fun like that. #2, the front brake assembly is really big so have a really big c-clamp to compress the pistons back in. #3, the rear brakes as best I can describe is a 2 part process, there is a cap covering an allen nut to separate the pad assembly from the ? I was looking at 3 bolts that I thought would release everything which would of been a major pain in the butt needing several different special tools, but thanks to the Brother in Law who used to be a mechanic showed me the easy way. Job done, and now that I have done it, it's a 3 beer job in time, OK 4 if you want 1 for each wheel.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 AM

You should replace the rotors, not turn. Genuine Volvo brake kits (probably Bosch) on FCP Euro web site, run $200 to $350, for rotors and pads for the front. Simple to do, at least the front. https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/...7&m=213&e=2105