Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc90 extended warranty which one

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc90 extended warranty which one

have choice between

coverage one, ultimate package

or

easy care (offered by my volvo dealer) total care package

does anyone have any experience, or opinions on which is better

Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Default RE: xc90 extended warranty which one

Hmmmm... I just love the inconsistency of the dealer networks. The warranty on our XC90 expired last Fall, and we were never informed by the dealer that they had an extended warranty package to offer us.

Sorry I'm no help on that this one.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:24 AM

I have been told to talk with the service people directlty at your dealership and ask them which one that they would recommend. The service people work directly with the warranty companies and know which ones are best.

Of coarse their is always the case to be made that one would opt out and not get an extended warranty and save the money for such repairs. The extended warranty bussiness is a money maker for a reason, the majority of people who get them do not recover their money in repairs. Also if it is not transferable if the vehicle is sold can be another issue.

One must consider the maintenance that has been needed and what could be expected.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Please note this is my personal opinion but I believe many members would agree.

90% or more of the time extended warranty is a sheer waste of money. Some intelligent guy/gal came up with this bogus idea and now it's everywhere.

Some people still believe it's worth the money. However, I have heard more horror stories than good ones. Recently one member had to consider taking the dealer to court, because the dealer (not a new car Volvo dealer but pre-owned Volvo dealer) kept playing game with him. I dug up the member's original thread, where he believed that the extended warranty was worth it, and someone else agreed. Now the dealer has refused to pay for his warranty.

There are all kinds of fine prints and excuses that those people use to avoid paying you for the warranty service. As far as I'm concerned, I would set the money aside and spend it on regular service items, which many people ignore anyway and end up paying a heck of a lot more later.

I used to say extended warranty was 80-85% of the time useless. I've revised the number to 90%. However, if your XC90 is '05 or older and came with GM-built gearbox, and if you're 100% sure that the people you would be dealing with would pay for the gearbox failure, then it could be worth it but I personally wouldn't buy one.

JPN

Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 PM

thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM

I totally disagree with JPN saying it is a "waste of money". As with car insurance, you hope you'll never need to use it, but just because you don't use doesn't mean it is a waste of money. It also provides ease of mind.

Depending on how your vehicle is equipped (DVD entertainment/Navigation System, etc.) and how long you want to keep it you may want to get an extended insurance that covers your additional equipment. The cost of replacing any of these items after 50K will be way more than the cost of theextended insurance. We bought one for about $2400 (financed with the car loan) which extended our overall warranty from 50K to 100K miles/7 years- all included exceptstandard wear and tear (brakes, etc.). Our warranty already covered the replacement of ourentertainment system at 36K miles.Chances are it will happen again.... The dealer providedwarranty is also transferable/ refundable (prorated).

Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FYR:

Before:
https://volvoforums.com/m_68416/tm.htm

After:
https://volvoforums.com/m_97849/tm.htm

JPN

Old 03-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Obviously people on this thread feel very strongly about the extended warranty issue and most are against them in general.

I too am interested in Stephen's questions as I am considering an extended warranty for my soon to arrive XC. Yes, I know from an insurance company perspective there is very little pay out and a percentage of income and for most people extended warranty is mostly a comfort thing. It is for me, but it also has value when the time come to sell. I haven't made a decision yet, but want to gather as much information as possible in order to make the right decision for me.

Are the so-called "factory" extended warranties as sold by the dealer, Volvo America sponsored? By that I mean does Volvo America have the insurance contract so any Volvo dealer will be selling the same policy from the same insurance company? Or would I be buying Brand A from one dealer and Brand B from another, each dealer getting his own deal with a insurance company. One nation-wide company sponsored by Volvo sponsored would be a good thing and if this is not the case, then buying independently could prove to be a better value particularly if a good company could be found.

There are a lot of "fly by night" companies out there, and it's certainly easy to be ripped off. Hence the research. What companies have a good reputation? Warranty Direct seemed to talk a good game and their prices seem to be in line with most, but I don't know anything about them. Any feed back from members here?

Does anyone have experience with any other companies they can recommend or not recommend?

The going rate for a new XC seems to be around $2400 (Zero deductable, 100K/7yr). That's no small chunk of change. If this is to be done, then it certainly is best to spend the money the best way possible.

Purchasing through your dealer seems like a better way to go, but I believe this is not necessarily the best value. Any comments about that.