Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'94 850 Starter works - engine doesn't crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 850 Starter works - engine doesn't crank

1994 850 non turbo. 192k miles
Been running fine since replacing fuel system.

Parked it 2 days ago in the garage to prep a strut/control arm/tie rod replacement.
Went to start it this morning to move it to a better position.

Starter makes a "whine".
Engine does not turn over.

Battery - check. Good, 12.79v
Pulled Starter, bench tested. Checks out okay although it seems a little slow returning the gear into the starter housing. Original equipment. Decided, to replace with ReMan Bosch starter.
Felt around in tranny for teeth on flywheel. What I could feel seemed okay

Installed, turned the key and same motor whine from starter. Engine does not turn over.

I can manually turn engine over so it's not seized.

I am at a loss what to check for next. PNP? Security?
Please help.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM

im not a volvo expert, but what makes the gear come out on the starter motor? maybe that part is bad.
Recently had simillar issue on my '95 s10. A 3 month old starter motor stopped engaging the flywheel. Gear on starter motor wasnt kicking out. 1st time it happened was during a snow storm, so I thought the motor might have frozen up. but it happened again when it was warm and had been driven.

But unless you didnt get the new starter bolted up right, it is something else preventing the starter gear from moving to the flywheel.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it a manual ??

When you felt for flexplate/flywheel teeth did you also try to rotate it ?? Small chance it fractured around the crankshaft bolt pattern and is turning without turning the crank itself. I know, that's really a long shot

I'd check all the positive battery and ground cable connections for corrosion or looseness to see if possibly some of the "juice" is getting to the starter but it isn't getting enough to fully pull that starter drive out and force it into the flexplate/flywheel.

Any chance you can post the noise ??

You can keep an eye on this post too as it sounds similar to yours. Might find a good idea in there. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...t-start-69325/

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-02-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosport
im not a volvo expert, but what makes the gear come out on the starter motor? maybe that part is bad.
Recently had simillar issue on my '95 s10. A 3 month old starter motor stopped engaging the flywheel. Gear on starter motor wasnt kicking out. 1st time it happened was during a snow storm, so I thought the motor might have frozen up. but it happened again when it was warm and had been driven.

But unless you didnt get the new starter bolted up right, it is something else preventing the starter gear from moving to the flywheel.

But bad on two starters ?? If it's making the same noise now that it did before he installed the new/reman Bosch starter the problems someplace else.

The starter solenoid mounted on the starter motor is what gets the power first. It's an electromagnet and "ON/OFF" switch. When you hit the key and send power to the solenoid through the "little" wire the magnet pulls together the bigger contacts to give battery voltage and amperage to the starter motor while at the same time pushing the starters drive or over running clutch and drive gear out into the flexplates/flywheels toothed ring.
When you let go of the key a spring shoves the starter drive back away.

Photo courtesy of Boxpin

Attached Thumbnails '94 850 Starter works - engine doesn't crank-starter-motor-diagram.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
But bad on two starters ?? If it's making the same noise now that it did before he installed the new/reman Bosch starter the problems someplace else.

The starter solenoid mounted on the starter motor is what gets the power first. It's an electromagnet and "ON/OFF" switch. When you hit the key and send power to the solenoid through the "little" wire the magnet pulls together the bigger contacts to give battery voltage and amperage to the starter motor while at the same time pushing the starters drive or over running clutch and drive gear out into the flexplates/flywheels toothed ring.
When you let go of the key a spring shoves the starter drive back away.

Photo courtesy of Boxpin
could the solenoid be giving enough power to turn the starter motor...but not enough to kick out the gear?
did the OP replace the solenoid as well as the motor? Or did he reuse the old solenoid. Just a thought.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If the starter whines the motor is cranking. If the motor doesn't crank, the starter will just click and be locked up.

I would pull the timing belt cover and see if the timing belt is in tack. Then have someone else crank it to see if the cam sprockets are turning. ???

Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Solved.
Both starters were bad. On the bench - no resistance, gear spun. Once in the car, as soon as the gear hit the flywheel, whatever the gear is attached to was stripped. Grabbed a a third starter put it in and no problem - motor starts.

At the other parts store the guy told me that he's seen a lot of reman'd starter getting returned as bad out of the box.