Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

!! Key fob issue

Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! Key fob issue

Hey, I'm slowing going crazy thinking what is wrong with my spare car key.

I bought the car (2008 Volvo C30 R) in December, and have had no issues with it, except all the buttons on the spare key don't seem to be working.

They work fine with the key I use daily, so I unlocked the car using my daily key and checked the amount of keys registered - this was showing 2 & the spare key does work in the ignition - I called it a night there and did nothing else with it.

I have since replaced the battery in the spare key, and tried the buttons again with no response. I again, unlocked the car with my daily key, but used the spare in the ignition to drive to work today, and when I checked if there were further settings on the car menu the total number of keys registered is now showing 4.

Does anyone know what could be wrong and/or why the car seems to recognise 4 keys now? (I honestly only have 2)

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous owner ( or owners ) must have had more keys made. It sounds like you need a new key programmed.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:41 PM

But it showed 2 keys when you first checked? Weird.

Standard key fobs have 3 independent functions: blade key, remote, and RFID ignition. Each interacts with a different device in the car. The RFID reader is inside the ignition switch itself. The Remote transponder is on top of the DIM. If a new key is purchased, each system will be programmed to accept the new codes.

So: daily key operates in all three modes.

Spare key remote function doesn't work. Did you swap batteries or just get a new one for the spare key? I would first double check the battery installation: contacts clean? Battery in right side up?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:27 AM

Sorry for the late reply - hope you can still help!

I bought a new battery for it, and checked it was clean before putting the new one in. It is put in the right way up, literally just swapped them around.

The blade and ignition still work, but again no remote and since it's had a new battery the car shows 4 keys. I haven't taken my current key apart in fear it will develop issues. I don't know if there is a problem with the central locking, as somedays the steering column doesn't lock when I take the key out of the ignition, which prevents me from locking the car with the remote, and will only lock/unlock the drivers door with the blade.

I've reset the central locking with the blade in the drivers door, it stopped the problem for a week or two, but the system seems temperamental and is hit or miss on registering the key being removed.

Any suggestions would be great!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 AM

I'd say it was time to get DiCE / VIDA involved. You will be able to see "inside" the system in real time. It may even have stored some trouble codes.
Buying a Chinese clone DiCE / VIDA setup is about the same cost as a single dealer check, and is VERY worth it if you do any DIY. Setting the DiCE reader up can be challenging, granted, but "if I can do it, anyone can." hee hee.