Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

MY C70 UPGRADES

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MY FIRST C70 UPGRADE

Soooo. You have a lot of free time eh....

J/K looks good... would have been nice to see with data if it makes any difference.

S.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Can that do any damage as far as water seeping into the holes?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

Can that do any damage as far as water seeping into the holes?
Anything is possible. Personally I don't think it was a bright idea, plus it looks nasty.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:09 PM

well, water can't weep in there cause the hood is sealed up from the back, so i can't seewater getting in there or even that much.

but, if you wash your engine, but sure to let the COP dry first before starting or itcould throw a miss-fire code.

com'on S70, the toyota supra and other cars have had modified spark plug covers for the longest time like this one.

so why isn't this a bright idea?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM

well i took S70's advice to axe the volvo emblem....sort of

i cut the purple part out with my dremel and smoothed the edges out and put it in the grill. IMO it looks way better. i'll give you some pics of it on the car when the sun comes out.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Cant wait to seeit on the grill.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Why dont you leave it blank. I removed all the badges on the rear of my car. On the front I have a prancing moose sticker over the volvo one. I get tons of people looking wondering what it is. Make them guess. My logic is I know what kind of car it is... why advertise.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Now that looks good, much better then your drilled holes, .

Is that even for a Volvo? They may have modified covers but if they look like that then cool, but just drilled holes looks ugly IMO. And honestly is it even worth it? How much performance or anything else do you truly get? If anything that cover is for looks only. I want to see some real data the shows it does something other then look pretty.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 PM

theres no way to get any data from the drilling of the holes. if you think logically you'll see that the holes can't hurt. the coils produce heat and they will run cooler with airholes than without i'm sure of it. airflow cools everything and when i make my mods to the hood there will be more airflow and thus a cooler running engine.

my holes aren't perfect and thats because i'm not a machine or a computer. i did noticed that i could have used a template i had laying around to make it perfect, but it's too late now. if i get another cover i'll make it better.

as for the emblem, i like having a custom look. if everybody here shaved all of their emblems and decals then what would seperate us? i'm experimenting with this volvo since i haven't customized anything like this and i realize that i have to be very careful inorder to keep it tasteful.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Buy an 'R' badge from IPD to replace that blue Volvo badge, it ruins the look of the grille.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: simul8guy

Buy an 'R' badge from IPD to replace that blue Volvo badge, it ruins the look of the grille.
Do not buy an R badge if you don't have an R vehicle. It is stupid and pointless.

Also as of right now the engine bay gets hot and hot air rises. And your holes are ontop of the engine bay. Thusly possibly making it warmer right now.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Name:  volvoemblem001.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  55.1 KB

heres some pics as promised. this is about 10ft. away and you can barely see it.

Name:  volvoemblem002.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  26.7 KB

heres very close pic and even then the emblem isn't as invasive as what i had on there.

Name:  volvoemblem003.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  53.5 KB

and this is about as close as you have to get to notice it. overall i like the difference the purplish emblem makes against all the other colors. i wouldn't want to put an "R" badge there if i don't have the power to back it up. maybe sometime down the road i may be able to do that.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM

as for the heat under the hood S70, it always rises correct? so there wouldn't be a chance of it coming down to the coils, especially when the coils are producing their own heat....which is also rising.

i was gonna save this mod til i found a thermocouple for my multimeter, but i'll just have to get live data readingsusing my scan tool.

the red circle is the weather stripping in the rear of the engine compartment. the blue is thearea that the stripping was removed from. it's hard to tell, but the weather stripping isretainedsurrounding the fuse box on the driver's side for obvious reasons.

when you do this and close the hood, look in from the windshield side and you'll see that there is alot of roomfor excess heat to escape, especially at highway speeds.

before you bring up the rain, guess what, it will get to the turbo and stuff from the bottom. and you have heat shields and stuff on the top anyway.

if your worried about a coolant hose breaking and spraying on the windshield, check your hoses and practice a lil PM on your car. this was one of the firs mods i did on my other car which has a T3/T4 turbo in the same area as the C70

i will post my data sometime tommorrow.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Default RE: MY C70 UPGRADES

wow, somethings really do feel good the second time around. i just mounted my 19x8 Stern ST-11s and dropped the height down 1.4" with some vogland springs. next month i have to upgrade the struts to the HD bilsteins cause the ride is a lil bouncey. i will also be upgrading the exhaust from the turbo back next month sometime.

let's see how good my viper alarm with pager keeps the thiefs hands off of these.
Name:  2ndvolvorim001.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  2ndvolvorim003.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  13.9 KB
Name:  2ndvolvorim002.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  41.4 KB
Name:  2ndvolvorim004.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  56.9 KB

one of my friends said "whoa, it almost looks like the GTO". i wish it had the power atleast.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That looks AWESOME!!!!! Im Jealous!!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:40 PM

VERY NICE!

Did you tint since you last posted?
What size exhaust are you getting?

Edit: It really does have that GTOish look.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:00 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to have a camber issue in the rear. If you have dropped the height 1 plus inch those rear tyres are going to wear in a "most unusual" pattern and your handling if you plan on autocrossing your c70 is going to be way way off. Your next modification should be in the rear suspension to squar things up.

r.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM

i did re-tint since the last time i posted pics. the old tint was peeling off and wasen't dark enough, so i went with 15%. the cabin feels alot cooler now even in the mid-day.

i'm gonna build a 2.5" exhaust system using all mandrel bends that i can get locally without the crushed or reduced curves. then i will use magnaflow productsto include aCATand a nice universal muffler that looks factory.

as for the rear suspension settings, they are squared now that i had my alighnment done again this morning (it's good to know people). i will get some camber bolts when i get my bilstein shocks. i don't plan on autocrossing my C70, i just want it to be a mean cruiser with decent power. so car shows, volvo meets and traveling is what this car will be for. my neon is the one that will be the daily driven hell-raiser if i can keep it in one piece.

heres anotherpic in the light:
Name:  2ndvolvorim2004.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  63.4 KB

Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM

I highly suggest you at least go with a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system. The 3" mandrel bent downpipe will provide you the most power and the 2.5" mandrel bent catback system will be great if you keep the stock turbo. If you plan to upgrade your turbo then do a full 3" mandrel bent system otherwise stick to the 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system.

You plan to do an ECU upgrade to take full advantage of the downpipe and catback system?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

I highly suggest you at least go with a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system. The 3" mandrel bent downpipe will provide you the most power and the 2.5" mandrel bent catback system will be great if you keep the stock turbo. If you plan to upgrade your turbo then do a full 3" mandrel bent system otherwise stick to the 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system.

You plan to do an ECU upgrade to take full advantage of the downpipe and catback system?
i was thinking of doing a turbo upgrade in the far future, like after i learn the car a bit. honestly i'm nervous about doing any major upgrades cause i'm not so familiar with this platform and i like the fact that it starts everytime. so for right now i'll just do harmless bolt-ons.

i was looking at that soft loader thingthat IDP sells, so i can flash with upgrades.

whats the diameter of the turbine exit anyway? that way i can get a stainless reducer to go from whatever that is to 3".

Quick Reply: MY C70 UPGRADES