240 massive crank/HB pulley vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 massive crank/HB pulley vibration?

Hello, first time posting here. I have what i hope is not a major issue with my poor volvo.

so this is the 5th 240 i have owned it is a 92 240 sedan. I purchased a few months ago and preceded to do a lot of maintenance that had obviously been neglected although the car is in excellant shape otherwise. this is what i have done:

engine transmission mounts
timing belt, idler
struts
shocks
overload springs rear
oversized sway bars
plug wires cap rotor
and more

these all did alot for the car and made less vibration better handling etc. I have just finished putting over 11k on the car across the country over the rockeis to grandmothers house and all. Yes the car did go over a LOT! of mountain passes and im hoping i didnt work it to hard and ruin the poor engine

so i have just finished replacing the harmonic balancer as well as getting rid of the AC and routing the belts better. reason for doing this was massive vibration out of the pulley.

now that this is done nothing has changed and the pulley looks like it i tied it on with string it flops and wobbles like and old cart!

so can anyone give me suggestions?
I put a keyway in the pulley although there wasnt one when i took it out?
the belts are snug not to tight and smooth on all the other pulleys?
the HB pulley i bought is a good one from carquest not a cheepo.

thanks for reading.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I have read this several times... Looks like you tackled something not quite right.

Quote:
"I put a keyway in the pulley although there wasnt one when i took it out?
the belts are snug not to tight and smooth on all the other pulleys?"

Not sure what you mean. Why the question marks? What are you asking? How did you put a keyway in the pulley?

Harmonic Balance pulley from Carquest is probably a "cheepo"... It shouldn't matter. The most critical thing on these pulleys is the rubber insulating the inner and outer parts; how long it would last. The rest of the pulley is pretty basic.

So you had "massive vibration" before, you have massive vibration now?
The pulleys must be off on their axes to wobble--the old and the new.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:59 PM

so by putting a keyway in there is a slot on the crank and the pulley thats where i put the keyway/ woodruff. I am not sure how necessary but i figured it wouldnt hurt.

as far as the pulley the old one had a lot of cracking in the rubber but had not separated.

so it very well seems like the pulley is off axis on the crank and i really dont know how i would fix that. would you have suggestions for me? my worry is its something like the bearings on the crank that are worn but i feel that would have a significant impact on how the engine runs. It does actually run pretty alright as of now.

thanks.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:15 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, there a slot in the crank where the toothed gear wheel fits which itself has a woodruff key, this how the crank when it turns, turns the gear which drives the HBalancer which also has a notch so there is no slipping when everything is turning.

You are saying your car didn't have that woodruff key? Or the gear's nub was broken?
How did you put that in?

I doubt your crank is worn to the point where the balancer pulley would wobble.
I am sure this all has to do with how all those parts fit together...
I suggest you Google "b230 timing" and look at the correct order.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Okay thanks I will have to tear it apart again and find out thanks hopefully this works.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 PM

well I feel stupid, I did not line up the notch with the nub I will blame it on the 10 degree weather or just pure stupidity haha. thanks for you're advice cars better for now, on to the next improvement/issue.